Hello from Las Cruces, NM

Tell us about yourself and let us know which machine you have.
HDVideo

Hello from Las Cruces, NM

Postby HDVideo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 am

Hello All,

I'm the new owner of an older (pre 2015) Probotix Asteroid that I acquired a few weeks ago. Upon close inspection, the Z linear bearings had a lot of play in them so I decided to order new bearings all around. I'll replace the Z and X bearings right away and do the Y later if any issues appear.

Just curious if others that have older machines have had to replace bearings and what sort of usage one can expect before replacement is called for. Other than a good bit of slop in the Z axis and a little in the X, the machine appears to be tight and in good shape.

Since this machine has the older controller, is there anything I should be aware of or look out for in that area?

Looking forward to getting it back together and to start making things!

Ed

4DThinker

Re: Hello from Las Cruces, NM

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:34 am

Hi Ed, and welcome to this forum. My Meteor had the older controller, and one day it simply quit working unexpectedly. Len at Probotix sent me a new Unity controller in exchange for my old one after I'd verified that something internal had failed which I couldn't fix. He mentioned that series of controllers had cost him considerable $$$ to replace. I did have to rewire all my steppers to use the new Unity controller.

I also have a Meteor where I work with the old controller and it has been running almost daily since it was new. No problems yet with it.

4D

HDVideo

Postby HDVideo » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks for the welcome and reply 4D.

Before tearing it down, I was able to run a couple of quick test cuts with the machine and can verify that the controller does work. Since I'm the second owner and it's been a few years, I doubt they would be willing to replace this one when/if it dies, but will worry about that when the time comes.

I don't have a firm ETA on the bearings, but getting antsy to get it back together. I'll be adding a center cross support of 3060 extrusion to the frame and a new spoilboard with t-track so it should be good-as-new in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Ed

probotixmissy

Postby probotixmissy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi Ed,

Just checking in how's everything running for you?

Give us an email or cal sometime
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

Return to “Introduce Yourself”