New at this

Tell us about yourself and let us know which machine you have.
beltramidave

Re: New at this

Postby beltramidave » Fri May 26, 2017 9:17 pm

Probotix sells them as well.

Another option may be: http://www.automationtechnologiesinc.co ... c-spindle/

KenW

Postby KenW » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Again -
So, I received my Asteroid and also got the spindle and vfd from Probotix.

I thought that I had everything connected properly, but the vfd turns on as soon as I plug into 220 and just reads 0.0 on the unit.
Do I need to unplug it every time I want to turn off my system? The Unity controller doesn't seem to control it.
Also, don't know how to test if the spindle is working or not. Any advice?

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:28 pm

My best advice is to call up Probotix in the morning. I don't use a spindle and can't help you, but Len (the owner) will no doubt be your best source for resolving your problem(s).

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Hi Ken,
I had posted a fairly long reply earlier (by phone), but evidently it didn't post.
4D's advice to call Len is best, but here is my two cents.
The way Probotix has their machines set up, the vfd is always powered and in the run state. It only needs a speed reference signal to run.
The spindle direction command and speed reference signal is generated by your cam software. When you run your toolpaths file (.NGC), it will automatically start and stop when needed.
You can also start the spindle from the LinuxCNC software. Click on spindle icon and use +&- icons to adjust the speed. You can also do it thru the MDI tab using gcode commands.
Hope this helps.
Dave

KenW

Postby KenW » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:04 am

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the help. I did figure it out eventually and looks like it all works just fine. I do need to find a manual on the linix cnc program though. As to the vfd, I'm going to install a two pole switch so I don't have to leave the vfd running all night long.
Ken

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:07 am

Glad to hear you figured it out. I put double pole safety switches on the machines I over see. Also configured a At speed contact in the vfd, so the z axis would not move unless the spindle was running at speed. Too many times of people forgetting to turn the vfd on and jamming the tool into the part.
I believe there is something on the wiki as far as the software interface, if not, Google LinuxCNC, there is a whole website and forum available.
Good luck,
Dave

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:40 pm

Return to “Introduce Yourself”