Tool touch off sensor

Tell us about yourself and let us know which machine you have.
edison auto

Tool touch off sensor

Postby edison auto » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:17 pm

I am having trouble getting the sensor to work properly. It will measure the tool, I zero out my x y and z axis as normal but then it says travel is past z axis limits and will not run the spindle or program and I have to do it manually. Any help is appreciated. I am running the nebula
Mark

beltramidave

Re: Tool touch off sensor

Postby beltramidave » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:33 pm

Hi Mark,

I think this pretty much tells you what you need to know.
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Using_Automatic_Tool_Length_Sensor

If this doesn't get you going, let me know. Make sure that you "load the first tool" first and then touch off Z like you normally do either with a touch plate or whatever your procedure is. Also make sure when you are touching off Z that you are using the same machine coordinate system as what is in your tool path.

Dave

edison auto

Postby edison auto » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:29 pm

Dave thanks. I had already printed out the pages and followed it to the letter.I still get the error message that travel is more than z axis allowed, run program anyway and I press yes ansd it will not run. I will try it again this week sometimes and take a picture of the message.
Mark

edison auto

Postby edison auto » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:33 pm

Dave I am not sure what you mean by the same machine coordinates as the program tool paths
. I am using aspire and it will work manually
Mark

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:52 pm

So you are saying that you are able to zero the Z axis ok and then when you go to run the toolpath, the error comes up?

I have seen this happen before, but I can't remember what caused it for sure. What it is telling you is that your toolpath is telling Z to move further than it can. This can also be in the up direction. I have seen it when you have the tool sticking out too far or your material is too thick that the Z axis can't go up far enough. What is your safe Z height set at?

What I meant by machine coordinate system is, when you touch off, you have the option to choose P1 G54 or one of the other coordinate systems. In your gcode toolpath file, it specifies which coordinate system you are using. If you are using the default Linuxcnc PP, more than likely you are using P1 G54. I use other ones and sometimes I forget when I touch off to use the right one.

edison auto

Postby edison auto » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:22 pm

I am new to cnc and most of what I have been cutting is preprogrammed from aspire. How do I check my safe z height. The Linux just comes up and says x zero and I click OK then y tjhen z. I have never checked coordinate type.
Mark

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:30 am

Mark,

I created some files for you and put them in a Dropbox folder. Follow this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iihf7hlewpqr ... MMHLa?dl=0

Couple of things to check are your Safe Z (Clearance Z1) and your Home/Start Z setting. The Home/Start Z setting is the first commanded Z height in your Gcode. If this is set too high, and there isn't enough clearance between your Z zeroed location and the Z axis limit switch, you can get this error.

I also created a file for you if you want to try it. It is just 2 simple profile cuts, a circle and a square. Set up using a 1/8" endmill to cut through 1/4" material. I am using the same bit, but changed the tool numbers so it would initiate a tool change.

If none of this helps, send me a PM and maybe we can talk via phone.

Dave

edison auto

Postby edison auto » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:41 pm

Thanks Dave I will try it out tomorrow night thanks

edison auto

Postby edison auto » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:21 pm

Dave sorry I have had outlaws here for 2 weeks because it is warm here on sw Florida. Tried the drop box but it would not open. Going to try it tomorrow morning
Mark

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:54 pm

Mark,
Sent you a PM.
Dave

Return to “Introduce Yourself”