New to CNC

Tell us about yourself and let us know which machine you have.
Phil

New to CNC

Postby Phil » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:17 am

Hi:

I am new to CNC and my research has lead me to Probotix. Wondering if there is someone close by me who has a Probotix CNC machine and would be willing to let me view it in operation. I am in central North Carolina.

Phil.

pete

Re: New to CNC

Postby pete » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:38 am

Welcome to the forum Phil

I live in Middle Tennessee if that would help you any
I love my Nebula

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:29 am

Sorry I'm not close enough to help (Kansan) but there are a few videos on https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=probotix+CNC of Probotix CNCs running, and I believe there may be a few links from here (probotix.com) that show running LinuxCNC and some general steps for setting up a cut.

4D

politicaldog

Postby politicaldog » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:23 pm

Welcome Phil,

Ohio here so not much help!
Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier!

o2photo

Postby o2photo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:22 pm

You don't mention the type of work you hope to be doing or will be doing. Do you have a definite goal in mind?

Probotix is a well hidden gem for sure. I thought I'd seen it all after over a year of searching and thought I'd have to save for a Camaster or Shopbot desktop. Then on happenstance, I found someone mentioned Probotix in a forum somewhere. I'd checked out tons of such recommendations of other companies before, and a dizzying number of them led to a defunct website, out of business. The ones that remained I wasn't too excited about after looking into them.

Probotix was different. I don't know what made me order one with the lack of info and feedback out there compared to the more known companies (one thing I do remember is seeing their client list of large companies somewhere), but my gut said to go for it, and I have to say, it's the best bang for the buck out there. Are there some things I would change? Sure. But at 1/3 the cost of what I was contemplating, I can handle that.

I use a big Shopbot at work, a big 5x8 machine that I was responsible for recommending. It is a fine machine, and we work it hard, and I have no regrets. However, I can tell you that having worked with the Shopbot for almost a year now, the LinuxCNC experience (Probotix) is superior to the Shopbot Control/PC experience (not Shopbot's fault - you have to provide your own PC). I have left my Probotix computer on for weeks and weeks and it is just as ready to run as when it was turned on. They provide the computer, and it is highly reliable. I can't say the same of the PC while running Shopbot control. On any long days, we typically have to restart one time. Another area it excels is in nudging with the keyboard. You'll spend a ton of time nudging, and on the Probotix, as quick as you can hit the key, the shorter distance it will move, zero lag. This allows you to avoid having to go to a fixed move. On the SB, there is a lag from when you hit the arrow key on the keyboard until the head moves. This means for precise positioning, we are forever having to switch to one of the fixed increments. It doesn't sound like a big deal until you have to do it all the time.

Anyway, I'm happy to answer any questions you might have going into it and afterward if you get one. Take care and good luck!

Marc

hemicro

Postby hemicro » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:15 pm

I can confirm the findings of the last poster, but I have had a little different experience. I retired and then got into cnc using a Probotix V90, which was
a reasonably priced entry level hobby machine. I used it for a couple of years and got most of my duh moments out of the way with the V90. Probotix support has been great, they actually get back to you and take care of any problems you may have. I then purchased an Asteroid and was totally amazed at how far Probotix had taken their development of new machines. It came in box completely assembled and ready to go. It is a stout machine and will handle pretty heavy use. If you do choose to go with the Probotix line, you will not be disappointed.
Harley

o2photo

Postby o2photo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:32 pm

hemicro wrote:It came in box completely assembled and ready to go.

This is positively huge in this price range. The test machine at work to prove the need for a bigger machine (I'd never used a CNC before, much less seen one in person) was an X-Carve. I will never buy a user-assembled machine again. Ever. We had the SB folks come down and assemble our machine.

No way, no how, ever. I will pay whatever it takes to get it here or go pick it up myself.

Marc

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:13 pm

pete wrote:Welcome to the forum Phil

I live in Middle Tennessee if that would help you any

Hi Pete:

Thanks for the offer. A long way but I will keep you in mind.

Phil.

Phil

Postby Phil » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:16 pm

4DThinker wrote:Sorry I'm not close enough to help (Kansan) but there are a few videos on https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=probotix+CNC of Probotix CNCs running, and I believe there may be a few links from here (probotix.com) that show running LinuxCNC and some general steps for setting up a cut.

4D

Hi 4D:

Thanks for sending.

Phil.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:00 pm

In addition to being a great value for the cost, Probotix' CNCs have a 4th dimension quality which many makes don't. Their open t-slotted extrusion frame permits configuring them for almost any kind of cut. You can screw work down to the included MDF top and make a living doing 2.5D/3D signs, or you can open up the MDF bed for cutting parts clamped at any simple or compound angle. You can mount the frame on 4 posts to have access to the entire volume of space down to the floor. Handy when you need to cut joinery details or carving on assembled furniture.

I oversee 2 Probotix CNCs in the furniture design lab where I teach. We've used them to do far more than I've described above, and much of what they do is impossible to do using any other technology in our large shop. LinuxCNC is a delightful controller/interface to use (compared to many other I've tried). No, I don't work for Probotix.

4D

Return to “Introduce Yourself”