Tool Table HELP

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
KenW

Tool Table HELP

Postby KenW » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:07 pm

Ok, I admit that this is my first trials with my Asteroid, but I'm ready to pull my hair out.

I figured out that I need to manually edit Tool.tbl as the button to edit this doesn't work.

I have tool 6 set at 0.0606 diameter which is the equivalent to my 1.57mm bit.
My file calls for T6 but no matter what I do, at the bottom of the screen it always says Tool 6 offset .7 and .125 diameter.
My part is supposed to be cutting a groove at 2.1mm wide but always measures 2.54mm and the total cut width
of my part, supposed to be 9.6mm is actually 9.07.

Is there something wrong or is the best accuracy that these machines can do.

Help please !

Ken

beltramidave

Re: Tool Table HELP

Postby beltramidave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:30 pm

I don't use the tool table, so don't know if this is relative or not.
http://linuxcnc.org/docs/2.5/html/gcode ... ation.html

Dave

KenW

Postby KenW » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi Dave,
If you don't use the tool table, what do you do when the file asks for tool number?

Ken

KenW

Postby KenW » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:24 pm

BTW - For anyone interested...found my problem with the dimension differences. Was due to choosing a collet that was too small for the bit and thus wasn't seating properly. The bit wobbled and gave me the larger cuts. When I changed to the next larger size collet, the problem went away.

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:41 pm

The tool table is populated when you touch off your tools, from my understanding.
My cam software (Vectric), sets the tool numbers based on my tool database. Unless you are running a toolpath with multiple tool changes, or using a automatic tool changer, the tool number is irrelevant.
Glad you found your problem.
Dave

KenW

Postby KenW » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:46 pm

I'm using solidworks and hsmworks to create my files. I designate the tool in those programs.
Anyway, I understand touching off to set the Z height, but how do you set the tool diameter?

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:57 pm

Once again, in my cam software, you set up your tool database with all tool specs and feeds and speeds and when you generate the toolpath, it takes everything into account automatically.
You may have to set it up manually if your cam software doesn't. I have no experience with either of them.
Dave

Return to “Open Talk”