When can I buy cutter ready or does someone have want to share?

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
Keystone Chuck

Re: When can I buy cutter ready or does someone have want to share?

Postby Keystone Chuck » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:48 pm

It's the PITA again. I tried the puzzle piece and holy crap they are 100% laser accurate. So accurate when I fit pieces together they leave the slightest of lines and are a bugger to get back apart. Is there a trick/tip on using the existing file and giving it a little "wiggle room" for ease of installation and dismanteling on the wall? I was thinking offset but I think I'm wrong after looking at finished drawing. I'm using a .25" spiral bit. Why they would take apart I don't know but my wife asked.

hemicro

Postby hemicro » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:04 pm

I usually adjust the size of the bit when I need to get a tighter or looser fit. IE when using a 1/8" bit, if you set the diameter in the settings to .120 the machine will only move .120 to the outside of a cut which in effect will make the piece looser because it will cut .005 more material off. I just noticed you are using a .25 bit so if you set the diameter in the settings to .245 it should give you a little wiggle room. I have also found that some of my bits were actually less than advertised size which will also make a piece fit tighter. I use a caliper to check the actual size of the bit and then go from there.

Keystone Chuck

Postby Keystone Chuck » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:47 pm

After many many many many trial and errors I finally figured it out. I don't want to make the entire piece have slopp so tricking the machine and bit was not working. I only realy want play in the female part of the puzzle piece. I copied the puzzle piece, isolated the female parts and ran a bit around just that part with a slight negative offset. Worked like a dream. I love learning new tricks and how to's with this machine and software.

Return to “Open Talk”