Reviews, Gripes, ETC.

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
probotixmissy

Re: Reviews, Gripes, ETC.

Postby probotixmissy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks for the kind words we are happy to help. Lets see:

If I do get the 4th axis at this time can it be ran using V-carve Pro or do I have to have Aspire?
--Aspire has all you need for rotary milling for sure, V-carve Pro Vectric says can do 4th axis wrapping but you might have to modify the post processor depending on how your rotary is mounted (X vs Y mapping to A). http://forum.vectric.com is the best resource for that.

What's the general opinion on the Porter Cable 892 and are the collets available from Probotix compatible with it?
--The Bosch 1617 is now the preferred larger sized router - the newer 892s have slop in the collet so we don't recommend them.

--The collet set is ONLY for the 80mm spindle w/ VFD - they are specific to that spindle and ER20 collets. You can get collets for the Bosch or PC router from http://www.precisebits.com

What is the height of the Nebula machine? I'll have to tilt it sideways to get through a doorway. I can tilt this machine sideways, correct?
-- The crate height is 26" with the Z all the way down, I always recommend 30" clearance for the machine space. Yes you can tip it sideways - it's always easier to remove it from the crate before you carry it through a doorway it's a little easier to manage.

Okay, this one may sound cheap and cheesy, but can I use a shop vac with this machine or do I need a real dust collection system?
--Sure you can use a shop vac, however our dust collection system is engineered perfectly for that table and task plus it has the cyclone separator so you never have to change the filter.

I'm sure that I'll think of more, I just need to get to work.
Thanks in advance for any help.

No Problem!! :D
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

hemicro

Postby hemicro » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:42 am

I just got an Asteroid and I had a Dust Deputy on my V90. I had Probotix send me a hose to fit the dust boot I got with the Asteroid and it connects perfectly to the Dust Deputy and my shop vac. The Dust Deputy works very well and get very little dust/particles in the vac or its filter.

justallan17

Postby justallan17 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:55 pm

Thank you all for the responses.
Just out of curiosity and some dreaming, is it possible to affordably mount a laser etcher on these machines. Not that it would happen or change my buying the cnc, but when you're no wealthier than I am you have to think of all the options you can.

TLHarrell

Postby TLHarrell » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:32 am

You /could/ mount a laser on the machine, but it's not really a great idea. I'll tell you why:

1. Mechanically, a laser engraver is far different from a CNC machine. It is designed with a really light weight head to gain very fast acceleration for the sweep (engraving) direction. These machines are larger, far more rigid, and far heavier. Their larger mass means their acceleration is far lower. Their top speed is also a lot lower. For engraving, this is not ideal. It's possible, but your results won't be very good.

2. Safety wise, a laser engraver is fully enclosed. Why? Because lasers emit light that could instantly destroy your retina in a fraction of a second. Get a stray bounce off something and *poof* goes your vision.

3. Exhaust. Lasers have an enclosed compartment which is exhausted outside. This keeps you from breathing harmful, noxious, irritating or poisonous fumes, gases or particulates. While it is possible to fully enclose the CNC machine, this is rather ungainly.

If you are going to experiment with lasers, make sure you understand what wavelengths of light they produce, precautions to take to avoid exposure and always have the appropriate light blocking glasses for the particular wavelength of your laser. Like they always say "Do not stare into laser with remaining good eye."

justallan17

Postby justallan17 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:16 am

Thanks TLharrell.
After reading your post and reasoning, I needed to thump myself in the head. :oops:
A dozen years ago I worked for a paintball gun manufacturer that owned a laser engraver (not that I used it) and I should have thought on it a little before asking.
I'll chalk this one up to me being bored and dreaming to much. :lol:
Again, thanks for the reply.

politicaldog

Postby politicaldog » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:04 pm

I’m giving my two cents on Probotix CNC Routers. I have had my Meteor for about 2-3 months. Friday night I noticed the fan in my controller making a noise I knew was not normal. I found that if I touched the fan lightly while it was running the noise went away until the next time I powered up. Once again touching the fan fixed it. I sent a quick chat message to Len on their web site; Len asked me a couple questions and assured me I could continue to run my Meteor without fear of overheating. Len told me to call Josh first thing Monday morning which I did. Wednesday I had a new fan in hand and 20 minutes later it was installed.

You don’t find customer service this good in many places and that is why I went with Probotix.

Rick
Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier!

hemicro

Postby hemicro » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:33 pm

I too have had a good experience with Probotix and the employees. When I received my Asteroid 2 weeks ago, I got it setup that same evening and was anxious to start testing. Turns out the z axis was inoperative. Since I couldn't wait (excitement), I swapped the wires from the Z axis and the A axis and the machine was running! I called the next day and Josh sent out a new replacement board. When I received the new board I installed it and the z axis ran for a couple of test cuts and it too quit. I called Probotix on Monday AM and talked to Len and he decided to send out a new controller box complete. No arguments, no hassles, just satisfaction.

justallan17

Postby justallan17 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks guys.
Len and Melissa certainly seem like they are eager to please and have put up with all my questions, so I'm a happy camper.
I ordered the Nebula with the 4th axis and am trying my best not to bug them. :D YUP, I'm just another big darn kid wanting my new toy. :lol:
Thanks again for the help.

probotixmissy

Postby probotixmissy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:05 pm

Sorry for the delay yes you can tilt the Nebula all machines are about 26" high with the Z all the way down. We now sell a collet set for the 80mm industrial spindle, otherwise I would go to http://www.precisebits.com for other router collets. Our machines are designed with as much open source hardware/software as possible so you can hack away - the extrusions are standard 3060 a lot of people make custom fixtures since our design has no lead screw in the center. http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Aluminum_Extrusions

Here are some physical dimensions and measurements to help with building tables, moving the machine, fabbing enclosures or accessories etc:
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/images/6/63/Frame_drawings.pdf
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/images/7/76/Machine_footprints.jpg
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/images/9/9b/Galaxy_series_quick_start_hirez.pdf

Many users also setup a shop vac using a dust boot (we sell them too now, with or without the dust collection system) for 611, 80mm and 3.5" dia routers) or a vacuum table. Should have no problems there.

TOMORROW is the big day we are giving away a FREE Comet if you haven't already enter on the Contest thread. Good Luck!!!! :D

Thanks!!
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:49 am

politicaldog wrote: Friday night I noticed the fan in my controller making a noise I knew was not normal. I found that if I touched the fan lightly while it was running the noise went away until the next time I powered up. Once again touching the fan fixed it.
We've got exactly the same thing happening with the fan on our Meteor at K-State. Machine buzzes when first turned on. Tapping.touching the fan shroud on the controller quiets it. Guessing a bearing or maybe a loose screw holding the fan in place.

4D

Return to “Open Talk”