110v Spindle Relay run on shutdown

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
tyman00

110v Spindle Relay run on shutdown

Postby tyman00 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:01 pm

Hi All,

Ran our Meteor for the first time this past weekend. Before I called the team, I wanted to see if I was doing the shut down procedure incorrectly. As I was shutting down at the end of the day, I closed the software and shut down Ubuntu. At that point the spindle turned on.

I know I can avoid this by turning off the controller box before shutting down Ubuntu, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something else I was doing wrong. Not to be the safety police, but that could be a bad situation if a person doesn't think to turn off the controller first.

probotix
Site Admin

Re: 110v Spindle Relay run on shutdown

Postby probotix » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:09 pm

Unless LinuxCNC is in control of the parallel port, the pins are in an unknown state.Always start the software before turning on the controller, and shut off the controller before killing the software.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:11 pm

When we shut down the first step is to turn off the connection from LinuxCNC to the controller. Second top row icon from the left I believe. Controls should be greyed out. Then manually turn off the controller. Only then close LinuxCNC, then shut down the PC.

4D

tyman00

Postby tyman00 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Thanks. I assumed that was the case since the software needed to be in control of the parallel port before turning on the controller.

We'll just make it a habit to do it in order.

hemicro

Postby hemicro » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:19 pm

I had noticed this behavior too and my concern was that the router could turn on while changing a bit etc. if there was power bump or something to crash the linuxcnc program. I always turn the switch off on the router when changing bits now.

TLHarrell

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:19 pm

Good idea. I have to turn off the router's power switch as you can't push the pin that keeps it from spinning if it's not switched off.

I usually e-stop my machine before shutting down the computer at the end of a night.
1. E-stop
2. Controller power off
3. Shut down LinuxCNC system

KLWestfall

Postby KLWestfall » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:43 am

When ready to shut down, click on the power button for the controller to turn it off. You can then turn off the controller switch, and then "Quit" the software program. Nothing should run then. Kind of scary when it happens the first time... :D
Probotix Meteor - :D 8-)
Lots of Wood - 8-)

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

Return to “Open Talk”