Troubleshooting X,Y,Z and Tool Sensor

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
ScottMo

Troubleshooting X,Y,Z and Tool Sensor

Postby ScottMo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:36 am

Hello,

As part of our program here at school, I've received a Probotix Comet. We set it up, made a few test projects, and everything seemed to be working fine.
However, recently the machine has developed two problems.

1. When you touch off X,Y,Z the machine will move to areas that are off the workpiece to begin cutting. I've tried touching off using both the work piece and the table with different results, but nothing consistent.

2. When loading a tool, the spindle locates inches away to use the tool sensor (which came prebuilt into the machine). I have to manually stop the machine to keep it from poking into the spoil board.

I'm hoping that a setting got changed, or there is some other 'newbie' mistake I've made. Also, not sure if this is related or not, but prior to this behavior, we had a lot of "Exceeds Z limit" errors.

Any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

pete

Re: Troubleshooting X,Y,Z and Tool Sensor

Postby pete » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

When you touch off the xyz make sure you are in the G54 and not any other cord. go to probotix and see which offset to use for the touch off probe it sounds like the offsets get mixed up
I love my Nebula

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:36 am

Does the machine still go back to the center of the table after homing?
After you've touched off X, Y, and Z do the coordinates on the screen all read zero? If you use the MDI tab and enter g0x0y0z0 does it go to where you homed it or stay there if already there?

Are you using the right post processor? What software are you using to generate tool paths?

These are all areas where something can start happening that you don't expect. The Comet.ini file might have gotten corrupt of been edited to throw off how much each axis moves with each step taken by a motor. Header code in the wrong post processors can put the machine in a different coordinate system than you are expecting.

ScottMo

Postby ScottMo » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:36 am

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I have been double checking everything on the machine, and have been met with limited success. Apparently there is a tool touch off file included from Probotix. I'm going to dig that up, and give it a go. I'll let you know my results.

ScottMo

Postby ScottMo » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:53 am

After a call to Probotix, got some of the issues fixed. Turned out there was some sort of offset in the Tool Table file. One that was cleared out, everything started working relatively smooth again.

Skelly

Postby Skelly » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:49 pm

If your Probotix CNC tries to touch off the tool length sensor but comes down in the wrong spot, here is a link to the procedure to reset it back to the correct location:

http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/ ... gth_Sensor

Go to the last paragraph titled 'Test'. Easy to do and it worked for me!

Jay

dsotmoon

Postby dsotmoon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:15 pm

Skelly wrote:If your Probotix CNC tries to touch off the tool length sensor but comes down in the wrong spot, here is a link to the procedure to reset it back to the correct location:

http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/ ... gth_Sensor

Go to the last paragraph titled 'Test'. Easy to do and it worked for me!

I am having this exact problem and I cant get it figured out, the Wiki seems to have changed and doesnt show the exact procedure to fix this problem, below is the email I sent to support, i know its a holiday weekend so I know thats not why noone has responded, when i hit load first tool it is plunging in the wrong spot!!!...

>>>NOTE: If you change your spindle/spindle mount, the Y position may be different and you may need to re-touch off G59.3 with the new spindle.

Hello, my dewalt router crapped out on me so I got a new one and now nothing works right. I home the machine, load first tool, and the machine is plunging in the middle of the table instead of touching off on the tool length sensor, I cant figure out how to fix this!

please help! how do i get my tool length sensor working again! ???

Asteroid with tool length sensor, with dewalt 611 router

dsotmoon

Postby dsotmoon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:37 pm

disregard, somehow i figured it out, lol

i homed the machine
changed the coordinate system to G54
parked the tool just over top of the tool length sensor
then touched off the y axis to 59.3
loaded my file
then touched off x,y,z,a axis to g54
ran the file

everything worked after that, i think that is the steps I took, if its not it was real close, putting the reply here so if this happens to me again I have something to reference, if there is a better way please post the steps here for others who may have the same problem, thanks!

Return to “Open Talk”