Only one y axis motor turning

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
beltramidave

Re: Only one y axis motor turning

Postby beltramidave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:46 am

Try this for starters. Turn off power to Probotix controller, then unplug and switch the Y axis motor cables on the back of the controller. Turn power back on and see what happens.

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:08 pm

The other Y axis cable is probably marked 'A' on your controller. If you swap those 2 cables and the motor that was not running, then ran, it would give us something to go on.

Can you turn either motor by hand with the controller turned on? Will the motor turn either direction or is it up against a limit switch at one end? If so, did you check the limit switch at the opposite end to see if it is stuck in?

Need a little more info on what you have tried to be of much help.

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:44 pm

Plug motors back in the way they were so that you don't forget.

Did you try turning the non working motor by hand with the controller turned on? If there truly is power to the motor, you should not be able to turn it by hand when powered up. If you have any doubt, try it with power on and with power off. Also, did you check the limit switches?

If you find out that you can turn the motor when powered, then the next step is to shut off and unplug the controller and open up the controller box. There are 4 screws on the bottom of the box. Be careful when splitting the box as there are parts mounted on both sides of the enclosure.

Inside you will find a row of glass fuses, check and see if one of them are bad.

salomon

Postby salomon » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Before doing that make sure there is no a limit switch pressed or activated in the not moving Y motor side.

Best regards
Probotix Meteor | 4th Axis | SuperPID with Dewalt DWP-611 Router

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:28 pm

Chris,

I think that you have ruled out a fuse issue if the motor is definitely powered on as the fuse gives power to the driver cards. If the fuse was bad, then you would not have power to the driver, nor would the motor be powered on.

You have not answered one question regarding the position of the Y axis. Is the gantry up by one of the limits? There are ways to look in the software to see if the limits are working, but usually (not always), if you can see the little black button on the switch and you push it and you here a click..most of the time it is ok. Make sure that the wires are connected at the switches as well. The 2 limit switches in question will be on the same side as the motor that does not work.

Some other things to look at..inside the enclosure, there are some short ribbon cables on the driver cards..make sure they are plugged in snuggly. If you follow the wiring back from the pin jack that goes to the motor that is not working, it will lead you to the correct driver card. While you are in there, look at and check all the wiring connections going to the screw terminals on the breakout board.

So far, you have eliminated the motor and the wiring to the motor and also the fuse powering the driver card. I think that you are either going to find a bad or stuck limit switch or a bad wire or connection.

Keep looking!

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Chris,

I am going to try and walk you through using the Axis software to look at your limit switch signals. I apologize that I don't recall exactly what the "signal" name is for sure, but I think I can get you pretty close.

SO, first thing is to start your AXIS program and make sure that all your cables are plugged back into the controller and turn it on. Make sure that you never turn on the controller without the motor cables plugged in AND do NOT unplug the motor cables without first turning off the controller!

Once AXIS is up and running, go to the top menu bar and click on 'Machine' > 'Hal Meter'. That should pop up to more boxes, Hal Meter and Select Item to Probe. In the Select Item to Probe box, click on the 'Signals' tab. Now you need to scroll down through the list and look for 'net switches-y1-raw' and 'net switches-y2(orA)-raw' (whichever one is giving you problems). This is where I am not sure of the exact names, but I think it should be close to what I said. Now single click on one of those and look in the Hal Meter box you should see that signal name with a TRUE or FALSE above it. Now on the machine, find the limit switches in question and push on the black button, you should see the TRUE/FALSE change state. If you don't see it change state, then you either have a bad limit switch or cable back to the controller.

I hope I got this right. If you can't figure it out, maybe you could give me a call and I could walk you through it easier.

pearcrl

Postby pearcrl » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:10 am

I have a Comet and it ran great for about a year. My rotary axis suddenly would run in only one direction and I tried everything mentioned below and then some. I wanted to pull my hair out (tough because I shave my head). Eventually I put an ohm meter on the parallel cable and found an open wire. After replacing the cable everything worked great again.
Rick, Comet owner

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Chris,

Did you ever get this running? What did you find?

Return to “Open Talk”