Best way to home machine

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
beltramidave

Re: Best way to home machine

Postby beltramidave » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:24 pm

Chris,

I am going to assume that you are using one of Probotix's machines. Have you read any of the quick start documents or watched any videos?
https://vimeo.com/121212918
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/CNC_Primer
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/images/9/9 ... _hirez.pdf

Homing the machine is the first thing that you need to do. When you select 'Home All', each axis, starting with Z will drive to a limit switch. It will depress the limit switch and then reverse direction for a short distance and stop. Once you have that done, then you are almost ready to run a program...but don't forget to do a "touch off" after inserting a tool. This procedure could be different if you have one of the new machines with a tool sensor.

Give us a little more information as there are a lot of knowledgeable people here.
Last edited by beltramidave on Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:43 pm

If you are hitting the home button, it sounds like what it should be doing, at least with Z. It should also be moving in X and Y until it hits limits, then (usually) goes to the center of your spoil board. That is so it can identify where in space it currently is.

beltramidave is correct from there. You will need to install a tool into your router, then touch off in all 3 axis, the location depending on your gcode and where you placed your origin. Before that, though, if you are using the tool sensor and the tool sensor profile, you will want to use the load first tool button on the right, let it do its thing, then touch off.

I will note that sometimes if you use the tool sensor, strange things can happen. I have had issues where it tried to drive the bit down somewhere else in the spoil board because it gets misaligned. It is a software change, easy enough to fix, but if you see the bit coming down in any other place than over the sensor, stop the machine because it will keep trying to drive its way down until it hits the limit switch or you stop it.

dsotmoon

Postby dsotmoon » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Chris, why do you think "home all" isnt the best way, I'm still learning things to so I'm interested in your thoughts, I was under the impression that home all is all that is needed to home the machine and it helps it square up also, it seems to work fine for me when I run "home all"

I will note that sometimes if you use the tool sensor, strange things can happen. I have had issues where it tried to drive the bit down somewhere else in the spoil board because it gets misaligned. It is a software change, easy enough to fix, but if you see the bit coming down in any other place than over the sensor, stop the machine because it will keep trying to drive its way down until it hits the limit switch or you stop it.

i have run about 6 files so far with my asteroid, 2 of those times, after touching off the tool sensor after load first tool, the router has raised up from the tool sensor, moved over about three inches and plunges straight down, the first time it hi the spoil board, the second time I hit the emergency switch because i was nervous from the first time it happened, now i keep my hand on it until it reaches the piece and starts to cut, I have ran the same procedure each time so now after reading this I am worried something is wrong and I need to find how to fix it ????

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:31 pm

HOME ALL the machine on first start up to let the CNC find the limit switches, and let the software know where the machine hard limits are.

With each project you clamp to the board you need to Touch Off X, Y, and Z to match where the origin (0,0,0) was in your drawing when you created the tool paths. This lets the software know where to cut those toolpaths relative to this new origin (0,0,0 point) you touched off at, within the greater machine limits/size.

The Touch Off function is very powerful in that it can take zero by default, or any other number. In one example I have my 0,0,0 set to the bottom left corner of my board, and on the top face. I jog my 1/4" diameter bit (or whatever bit I'm using) until it just touches the left side of my board, then TOUCH OFF X but enter -.125 (or 1/2 my bit diameter) instead of 0. I do the same for the bottom edge, jogging the bit until it just touches it. I'll enter -.125 for Y.

I have an LED Touch plate for setting Z. It is .369" thick. I'll set this plate on the board, then jog the bit slowly down until bit touches the plate and the LED lights up. I then TOUCH OFF Z with .369.

The net result is that my bit would be centered on the bottom left corner and flush to the top if I sent it to 0,0,0.

4D

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:42 pm

The easiest way to transfer files is to get yourself a USB thumb drive. Plug into any USB port on your desktop and save your file to it. Then take it and plug it into a USB port on your machine's computer (should be a spare USB port behind door on front of computer), then save it to your desktop or where ever you want it.

There is a specific location that your configuration file goes to look for your files when you click on open. This is found in your config's .ini file.
PROGRAM_PREFIX = /home/probotix/linuxcnc/nc_files

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:47 am

BTW, you can edit that config file and change it to open up your desktop to load a file from there.

4D

Skelly

Postby Skelly » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:22 pm

I have a Meteor with the tool length sensor and I've had the same issues you have when I started out. I found you need to do startup in a specific sequence. After powering up, I load a pointed tool such as a v-bit to make touching off more accurate. Then hit the Home All button. After it is finished homing, hit the Load First Tool button then the Continue button when it pops up. Now touch off all axis as usual on your workpiece. Load the bit and the toolpath file for the first cut. When you click the Play button it will touch off on the tool length sensor again and then move to the workpiece and make the cut. After it finishes the cut and returns to the home position, load the next bit and the next toolpath file and click the Play button. Repeat until all your toolpaths are cut. If you want to cut a new, different project during the same session, you don't need to Home All again but you do need to click the Load First Tool button. Then touch off all axis as usual for the first cut. This works for me every time.

Jay

Return to “Open Talk”