Machine stopping in mid cut

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
KLWestfall

Machine stopping in mid cut

Postby KLWestfall » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:06 pm

The last few cuts I have done on my Meteor, it stops midway into the cut. When it stops, the power to the controller is off. Everything (on the controller) is greyed out on the screen. I can then hit the power button on the computer screen, and it turns back on, but then I have to run the whole tool path again from the start.

Almost always on the second start up, it runs through the whole project with no problems.

Once it stopped twice, but each time requires a re-run of the tool path. Spends too much time cutting nothing. Don't seem to lose any homing or co-ordinates, but is extremely frustrating!

Any thoughts anyone?
Probotix Meteor - :D 8-)
Lots of Wood - 8-)

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

probotixmissy

Re: Machine stopping in mid cut

Postby probotixmissy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:36 am

Hi!

I am a bit confused as to if the controller itself is turning off (losing power) or is it just the control software (machine controls going grey)... One would be a hardware issue one would be in software. If you could give us a call and describe it in more detail or perhaps walk through a cut without stock to duplicate the problem it would help determine what is going on. We are here 7-4 Monday - Friday 309-691-2643 - we are back from holiday today.

Thanks!!
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Are you seeing an error message on the bottom right corner of the program window? Limit switch errors will cause what you describe, and we've had trouble with them going off with vibration during a cut. Limit 0 is X, the switches behind the router on the gantry. Limit 1 is Y, the switches under the side rails attached to the gantry verticals. Limit 2 is the Z axis, and its switch is behind the router mount plate. I've found that giving the cable end blade plugs a squeeze then re-installing them for a complaining switch will usually improve contact reliability and stop the limit errors at least for awhile.

4D

KLWestfall

Postby KLWestfall » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Thanks Melissa, will do in a day or two.

And I think it is a software issue on the controller, as the controller does not actually physically turn off. Just in the software, and when I hit the power switch (upper left corner of the software panel) everything comes back on, and no homing required as I think would be if it physically quit.

4DThinker, no limit switch problems and no error messages.
Lots of Wood - 8-)

KLWestfall

Postby KLWestfall » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:33 am

Melissa,

Did a project today and all worked as it should - no issues anywhere. Hopefully what ever little bug was there is gone! I will be phoning if it comes back.

klw
Lots of Wood - 8-)

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:35 am

I often have students who use thumb drives to carry work from a PC lab to the CNCs. I've seen them pull their thumb drives out while the file was still being written, and of course the file was corrupt when they opened it in LinuxCNC. Sometimes the file will still cut.... until they run out of data and stop. The end state may have the bit still spinning, and may or may not have it still in the wood. The file was incomplete, all due to not safely ejecting a thumb drive.

4D

Return to “Open Talk”