Cutting Dovetails on the x90, thoughts?

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
holychachi

Cutting Dovetails on the x90, thoughts?

Postby holychachi » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:43 pm

I have an x90, have used it on many many projects with great results. I recently was thinkg about cutting dovetails on it, but as any x90 owner knows, it has the bottom support for the gantry that runs under the table since it only has one motor in the "Y" axis. So it isnt as easy as having a cutout in your table to cut the end of the board vertically since the endmill is just about in line with the front edge of the lower part of the gantry. I was thinking of possible solutions. One way would be to completely redo the gantry in the same style as the new machines, but that would mean moving the Y axis motor and adding another motor in tandem with it on the other side. This solution is pretty much unpractical so on to the second solution. I was thinking I could remove the spindle holder and add a spacer block about .75 to 1.25 inches wide. This would move the endmill out in front of the lower edge of the gantry, but would mess up the weight distribution on the whole gantry assembly, and as any of you x90/v90 owners know, the spindle already has lots of play in the z axis. Moving the spindle farther out would, im afraid, just compound the play in the z axis, and if im wanting to cut dovetails on a vertical piece then extra play in the z axis would not be welcome. Im probably going to try it out and see what happens.

So anyone have any additional ideas or thoughts on this idea? Has anyone cut dovetails on their v90/x90?

Charlie

probotixmissy

Re: Cutting Dovetails on the x90, thoughts?

Postby probotixmissy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 pm

Yeah I would be hesitant to try dovetails on a 90 series and am not familiar with anyone who has tried, this question might be better posted in the V90/X90 forum: http://www.probotix.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

We offer dovetail joinery fixtures but only on the large rigid fully assembled machines,

Good luck though!
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

Return to “Open Talk”