Tool Change Overs

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
nick

Tool Change Overs

Postby nick » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:40 pm

Hey everyone, I have a V90 Mk2 with the dewalt router option and use it in a manufacturing/production atmosphere. From job to job, the tool needs changing and as a result the Z-axis needs re-zeroing. In an effort to speed up and simplify the change over process, I purchased a clamp-style stop collar to put on each tool. That way, all I need to do when changing over is select the right tool, butt the collar up to the collet, tighten, and away you go! However, I found that the collar was not well balanced and caused not only noise but vibration to spread throughout my machine.

Is there somewhere to buy precision balanced stop collars? Or is there an equally efficient/easy way to do quick changeovers? Thoughts and Ideas would be greatly appreciated thank you! :D

beltramidave

Re: Tool Change Overs

Postby beltramidave » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:04 pm

The easiest way is to either make or buy yourself a touch off plate. Probotix has been working on a device, you might check with Len and see if they are offering it for sale yet.

https://www.facebook.com/probotix/video ... =2&theater

probotixmissy

Postby probotixmissy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:08 pm

We are close on the z touch off plate, there is also the automatic tool length sensor which is good for when you have to change tools in the middle of a cut, LinuxCNC will drive the bit over to the sensor and auto measure your new Z offset because no matter how hard you try when you change a bit it's not always going to be exactly the same length or the collet will move slightly.

Give us a call during business hours and we can help you out. You might have one already.

http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Using_Automatic_Tool_Length_Sensor
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

tyman00

Postby tyman00 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:18 pm

Missy - How are you guys coming along with the Z Touch off plate? It would be nice to be able to have consistent touch offs each time, especially when coupled with the installed Tool Length Sensor.

ProbotixLance

Postby ProbotixLance » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:31 am

tyman00 wrote:Missy - How are you guys coming along with the Z Touch off plate? It would be nice to be able to have consistent touch offs each time, especially when coupled with the installed Tool Length Sensor.

Hey Tyman00!
We just finished up the programming side of the new Z touch off and are currently field testing(with great results thus far) on our machines. So far we are finding it to be a great time saver and very easy to use. I will try to keep you posted as the next step should be to prepare for distribution.
“Give me but a firm spot on which to stand, and I shall move the earth.”
― Archimedes

kjoiner

Postby kjoiner » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:21 am

Hello,

I notice there is mention of using both the tool length sensor and touch off plate together. Are both really needed? I was thinking that if you have the touch off plate that would be all you need since you could put it on top of your work piece to zero the tool (and compensate for the touch off plate thickness). I'm sure I'm missing something. I'm interested in this because I'm putting together a wish list for an Asteroid and want to make sure I think of everything.

Kyle

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:15 am

The tool length sensor will allow you to use different tools in the same tool path. The program will pause and allow you to change tools and then restart. The tool will automatically go over and touch off on the tool length sensor and compensate for the different tool. You will need to touch off Z only once before starting the toolpath.

Hope this makes sense.

kjoiner

Postby kjoiner » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:36 am

Hello,

When would you use the automatic tool sensor and the touch off plate together?

Kyle

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:15 pm

If you are running a single tool path that uses different tools, say a ball nose for 3d work or a vbit for engraving and then use a end mill to cut the part out, you could do this all in one tool path. You would give each tool a different number in your tool setup in the CAM software.

So your process would be to turn the machine on and home all axis. Then insert a tool and push the "load first tool" button. The machine would move over to the tool length sensor and measure the length of the tool. When that is finished, you would zero the Z axis to the top of the material (usually) using the touch off plate or sensor. You would only need to do this once. Then you load your tool path and hit run.

The machine will move over to the tool length sensor based on the tool number that is in your tool path file and touch off and then the program will continue until it encounters a tool change that needs to be made. It will stop and move into a position for you to change the tool and then move over to the tool length sensor and touch off and the program continues.

Hope this all makes sense. If not, look at this document.
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/ ... gth_Sensor

kjoiner

Postby kjoiner » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:57 pm

OK, I think I understand how they both work. See if I'm thinking right
1. The spindle is sitting at some Z axis position
2. You insert the first tool and detect the offset using the tool length sensor.
3. This sets up a compensation value between the spindle and tip of the tool
4. You touch off on the top of the part (where the touch off plate would make it more accurate)
5. Run the toolpath
6. Insert another tool. Detect it's length using the tool position sensor.
7. The difference between the new tool length and old tool length is now used for a compensation value
8. The machine goes back to the top of the part but also compensates for the difference in tool length so you don't have to touch off again.

So I think the tool position sensor eliminates having to touch off the top of the part with each tool change.
The touch off place allows a more accurate way to find the top of the part without having to look for the cutter leaving scratch marks or pulling on a piece of paper.

Am I thinking right?

Kyle

Return to “Open Talk”