BAD COMPANY

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
sandman92k

BAD COMPANY

Postby sandman92k » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:47 pm

DO not, repeat do not do any business with probotix, they are thieves, the lie and once they take your money they laugh in your face

probotix
Site Admin

Re: BAD COMPANY

Postby probotix » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:13 pm

Jeff, I am sorry you feel that way.

You purchased a Unity controller from us and asked what the microstep setting was for the drivers. We told you that we do not set them to any specific setting, but that they were likely set to quarter stepping. We do set the current to match the motors (if you get motors from us) because getting that wrong could damage the motors. The microstep setting is a setting that everyone who builds or converts a machine has to tune to their specific requirements. There is no right or wrong setting. The dip switch parameters are printed on the sides of the drivers for that very reason.

As an example, you may want to have the increased resolution of 8th step, but your PC may not be able to spit out the step pulses fast enough to get the speed you need at 8th step, so you may have to settle for quarter step. Or maybe you need the additional torque of half-stepping for your application. And then there can also be the situation that a certain speed and microstep setting couples to the resonance of your machine frame and causes the motors to stall - so you have to pick a different setting.

I am not sure what else I can tell you. It seems that you want to complain more than you want a solution. It would have taken two minutes to remove the 4 screws from the controller and to set them for what you need them to be set for. Its also a simple excercise to configure the software and figure it out based upon what you command the machine to do and what you observe it doing - its all just multiples of 200. If you'd like a more detailed explanatin of this, call me.

If you want to ship the controller back to us, we will gladly set the microstep setting to whatever you need them to be.

sandman92k

Postby sandman92k » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:25 pm

So this is a start, NO ONE told me that you do not set the microstepping, and how do you sell this as a turn key package and not include any documentation of what you said that you do not set the microstepping. I have been afraid to open this up because i did not want to void any warranty.. I am trying and have been trying to figure out where probotix set the settings. So today i did, on a side note, i have yet to find any documentation that explains the microstepping settings on this driver, I was VERY clear prior to purchasing this equipment what i was trying to do, maybe i just dont understand, but i was promissed that the service could help me.

so currently the driver are set at the following

2.7 amps and micro stepping at 50

can someone explain to me the following why do the microstep settings start at 2 goes to 128 then starts at 5 and goes to 125 why is this?
how do these numbers compare to 1/4 stepping 1/2 stepping. This is what i have been asking.

josh

Postby josh » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:47 pm

can someone explain to me the following why do the microstep settings start at 2 goes to 128 then starts at 5 and goes to 125 why is this?
how do these numbers compare to 1/4 stepping 1/2 stepping. This is what i have been asking.

As far as why these start at 2-128 then 5-125, its probably just how the dip switches were divided out. One of the switches changes from base 2 to base 5 I would guess. Its not important as to what order they are in though.

If you did a little googling then you would find the answer to your second question pretty quick. They are basically the same number, its just 1/x. So basically 1/2 = 2, 1/4 = 4, 1/8 = 8. Its a matter of which one you prefer to say. Fractions are more space and time consuming in text so most just use the microstep number. Basically one way is saying that each step is 1/2 the normal step size and the other is saying there are 2 steps per normal step size, or whichever step size you wish.

As far as which setting to use, its going to depend greatly on what type of machine you building, what type of drive system it has(pulley or direct-drive), speed/feeds targeted and other specs. I would guess somewhere between 1/2 and 1/16 would work fine for must things.

sandman92k

Postby sandman92k » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:14 pm

thank you,

but this is part of the Frustration, you have been helpful, but i did google and could not find that answer.

why is it MELISSA sent me an email calling me a "TROLL"

Really, this is what started this hole thing, you taking my money, me trying to get answers and i get treated like this. I hope people read this. Why would you call me a TROLL, because I am challenging you, I don't like what you have told me or called me in the past, why is it I have to right a post to get a clear answer, why is it that you treat this info like it is top secret.

I don't know how to respond after that email,

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:33 pm

She didn't - what she said was our customers were calling you a troll.

This information is not top secret. In fact we provided you what information you asked for and would be happy to continue to do so. But there is not a simple 1,2,3 how to manual for any of this. Not from us, and not from anyone else out there selling controllers. There is the documentation for the drivers, there is documentation for the pinouts, there is documentation for LinuxCNC. We have no plans of ever consolidating that information because few people ever struggle with the documentation as provided. We only sell controllers for the convenience of those who are satisfied with that level of support.

But then we also sell complete turnkey machines for those who don't want to, or have not the patience to, dig into the nuts and bolts of it.

We also provide onsite services too those we need priority support.

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:19 pm

Sandman92k,

I am just going to jump in here quick.. I am glad you are getting some help, but wanted to run through the documentation issue.

Looking at the Unity controller, it states right on the page what is in the box:

http://www.probotix.com/CNC-CONTROL-SYS ... CONTROLLER (for reference)

4.2 amp MondoStep Bipolar Drivers x5 (manual located here: http://www.probotix.com/manuals/MondoStep4.2.pdf)
PBX-MX parallel board (no manual, but nothing really to set... schematic and all on the wiki here: http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/PBX-MX)
Power supply - not really a factor with this discussion and really, a power supply is a power supply

In addition, there is information about the stepping too at a high level: http://www.probotix.com/downloads/step_ ... drives.pdf

It seems to me the documentation does exist, and is on the resources Probotix provides. Not knowing the context you are setting this thing up in (do you have a Probotix machine, or are you attaching it to something else?) it really can't be set up as a turnkey solution to the point you just plug it in necessarily. There are a lot of factors outside the box that need to be looked at too. I am assuming Probotix configures to to work on their units turnkey, but not knowing what you have and what you are doing with it, hard to really address that, and I wouldn't think it would be Probotix's responsibility to pre-configure it for you to do so.

Might I suggest instead of focusing on the type of support you are receiving from them and such that we focus on the issue at hand, which is configuring the box? It seems like it would be more productive, and get you up and running faster. It also seems counter productive trying to ask for help on their forums while you are complaining about their support when it seems they are trying to assist.

Just my two cents, anyway. I wish you luck with your project in any case!

dsotmoon

Postby dsotmoon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm

sandman92k wrote:DO not, repeat do not do any business with probotix, they are thieves, the lie and once they take your money they laugh in your face

i dont think you will find many/any that agree with this, i hope you get this worked out, the probotix team and products are top notch

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:34 pm

dsotmoon wrote:i dont think you will find many/any that agree with this, i hope you get this worked out, the probotix team and products are top notch

Yea, I meant to add that to my post... I would have to agree with dsotmoon.. I have owned 2 Probotix units now, the first one being used, and they have gone out of their way to help me out. I was a complete n00b, and they entertained my stupid questions! It is doubtful that there are many customers that are disappointed with their support, or their product, and even then they have been professional with their interactions.

Return to “Open Talk”