Router choices for Asteroid for plastics and aluminum

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
kjoiner

Router choices for Asteroid for plastics and aluminum

Postby kjoiner » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:13 pm

Hello,

I'm working on getting approval to purchase an Asteroid for work and the router choice is one main area for thought. I would use the machine to cut plastics (Delrin, ABS, UHMW etc.) and thin aluminum panels. I'm looking at the DeWalt DWP-611 and the Bosch EVS 1617. Both routers are variable speed, but the DeWalt goes from 16,000 to 27,000 and the Bosch goes from 8,000 to 25,000. My main concern is the minimum speed. I'm used to cutting aluminum on my small milling machine and usually below 4,000 rpm depending on end mill size. I usually cut aluminum at 200 fpm for HSS cutters and with carbide could go to 400 fpm. With a 1/4" router bit, that would put me at 6400 rpm. I'm concerned the minimum 16,000 rpm of the DeWalt would be way too high.

I would like to get some feedback from other users who cut aluminum and find out their experiences with higher rpm cutting.

Thanks!

Kyle

kjoiner

Re: Router choices for Asteroid for plastics and aluminum

Postby kjoiner » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:40 am

Anyone?

DPOA

Postby DPOA » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:19 am

Have you looked into the super PID controller?
I've seen badgers with paws the size of frying pans, that would rip your face right off!

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:55 am

I don't do much with plastics or aluminum, but I think either router mentioned would be a good choice. As DPOA mentioned, the SuperPID controller http://www.vhipe.com/product-private/SuperPID.htm will allow you to lower your RPM to 5000. There is some setup involved in installing one of these. If you decide to go this route, you might inquire with Probotix if they would install it for you.

The air & water cooled spindles offered are only rated for 8K rpm on the low side.

The Asteroid is a heck of a nice machine!!

Dave

DPOA

Postby DPOA » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:32 am

I have had both of the routers your mentions. Both are great but I prefer the bosch. The extra power and ability to use up to 1/2" bits is great. The bosch is what I am using now on my nebula.
I've seen badgers with paws the size of frying pans, that would rip your face right off!

kjoiner

Postby kjoiner » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:58 am

Hello,

Thanks for the replies. The Super PID controller looks like a great option. Thanks for posting the link. I see that there is an open loop control mode as well. I assume that means you can dial up the rpm with a control knob. That would probably be fine for what I'm doing. Is there any issue with routers that have a soft start feature like the DeWalt?

Kyle

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:42 am

The one's that I have installed all use a pot (knob) for adjusting the speed manually. I have used them on the Hitachi M12VC and the Bosch Colt (I don't recommend the Colt anymore) without any problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-M12VC-Variable-Speed-Router/dp/B0002ZZWXI

kjoiner

Postby kjoiner » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:01 am

Hello,

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will go with the Bosch 1617 to start with and see how it does. I've seen where the newer Bosch Colts have runout issues in their spindles. Do most of you run aftermarket collets for your routers?

Kyle

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:06 am

Precise Bits collets & nuts are hard to beat. Ron is a fountain of knowledge as well.

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:05 am

I run the Bosch 1617 on my Comet and have never had an issue with it.
also, I use the collet and collet nut from Elaire Corp. They are high quality at a reasonable cost.

http://www.elairecorp.com/routercollets.html
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

Return to “Open Talk”