Z Puck!

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
ProbotixLance

Z Puck!

Postby ProbotixLance » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:53 am

For everyone who asked, the z puck is now available as a stand alone option on the website.
Photo coming soon!
http://www.probotix.com/zpuck?search=puck
“Give me but a firm spot on which to stand, and I shall move the earth.”
― Archimedes

4DThinker

Re: Z Puck!

Postby 4DThinker » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:12 pm

Thanks for the product update, Lance. Any chance you know what comes with one other than the puck and a long enough cable to connect it to the PC or controller? I have a Meteor, and oversee a newer Meteor and even Nebula where I work. My Meteor has a rotary axis and stand-alone controller to drive it. I don't have a free parallel port on the PC. Both the CNCs at work have a free parallel port. I'm guessing an updated LinuxCNC configuration will be needed. I'd also need to know the pins used and how to add the needed routines to both my 3-axis config as well as my 4-axis configuration.

I'd love it if your Unity controllers came with a simple port that a touch puck/plate could plug into. Until then is it reasonable to believe getting this puck to work on all three CNCs will be "easy"?

Thanks. 4D

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:45 pm

The Unity cannot do it because we are already using all of the pins on the primary parallel port. Its easy to drop in a $12 PCI parallel port card. I'm not gonna tell you its easy to adjust the configs, but part of the cost includes you sending us your configs and having us adjust them for you. We do not plan on documenting the config changes because it requires you to understand the HAL configuration language. We figure if you understood HAL, you wouldn't need the documentation anyhow.

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:31 pm

So If I where to order it I would need to email you my config file to have it updated? When the puck comes it is pretty much plug and play ?

How is z set once the LinuxCNC has been updated?

Thanks

Matt

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:39 pm

Puck is complete, except if you *also* have the Tool Length Sensor, and then you have to solder a couple of connections as seen in the wiki.

With the puck, first, you attach the alligator clip to the tool (either by clipping it or by magnet) and position the puck under the tool. Then click a button on the screen and the machine will move the tool down until it touches the puck - at which point it sets the z-zero for that operation.

We also add a button to the screen that is a one click X & Y touch off. It really simplifies part setup.

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Great, I will order one when I get home tonight.

Thanks

probotixmissy

Postby probotixmissy » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:10 pm

Hey Guys,

Z Puck is online ready to order here:

http://www.probotix.com/CNC-ROUTERS/ACCESSORIES/Z-Touch-Off-Puck

:D
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

dsotmoon

Postby dsotmoon » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:56 pm

i'm a bit confused, what exactly does this do or accomplish, I have the tool length sensor which eliminates multiple touch off's, the initial touch off to zero everything takes just a minute. I'm trying to convince myself i need this but i dont know why yet, LOL

thanks!

probotixmissy

Postby probotixmissy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:24 am

The Tool Length Sensor is for eliminating the need to re-touch off your Z axis after a tool change in the middle of a cut, as it drives over and precisely measures the new length and LinuxCNC then uses the new value and you can keep on trucking.

http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Automatic_Tool_Length_Sensor

The Z Puck simplifies and automates touching off your Z axis to begin with - which is always the tricky axis. The bit only needs to touch the puck for LinuxCNC to set your Z origin exactly. Instead of getting down in there and manually jogging the machine to the precise location based on your eyes (which can take a bit of time and not always be precise), then touching off Z...the z puck will do it quickly and accurately. Saves time, and minimizes risks for ruined stock or breaking a bit when you are driving that Z down.

We will have more documentation up soon on this new product but you can get a lot of info online about why people want Z touch off plates for CNC.
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

probotixmissy

Postby probotixmissy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:31 am

dstomoon:

If you are not sure why or if you would need one, and your touch-off is already quick and painless, then you probably don't need one. We want to sell products of course but if you don't need it we pride ourselves on being honest with you. We have tons of options on our CNC machines and while other companies will tell you why you need everything under the sun to get the most money - we don't work that way. We will talk to you about your application, recommend what you need, AND what you don't need.
>Melissa

― Alan Turing

Return to “Open Talk”