Holding down Plastic Sheet

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
martan3d

Holding down Plastic Sheet

Postby martan3d » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:49 am

I do sheet styrene cutting, .030 to .125. Currently I'm using double sided foam tape which works well but gets expensive fast.

I'm thinking I should probably build a small vacuum table. Just wanted to get some opinions on this. Is there a better method? I'd like to load up the program, slap in a large sheet and cut out a 'kit' of parts in one go if possible.

Martin

hemicro

Re: Holding down Plastic Sheet

Postby hemicro » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:34 am

I cut a few acrylic sheets and I use tape also. The tape works great, but you are right about the cost. Hold downs seem to create more waste and don't always hold evenly in the center of a sheet and when cutting only .013 for engraving it is critical. I think a vacuum table would be the best way to go for ease and speed of mounting. I don't know of any that are reasonable on the market but maybe making one that works well is possible and can be made for the size sheets you are cutting. I have seen quite a few home brew ones on the internet, but don't know if any work well for all applications.

KLWestfall

Postby KLWestfall » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:41 am

Anybody try a pressure foot? I've seen some videos on them but never "really" seen one. If they work, would it work for something like this?

Curious minds...
Probotix Meteor - :D 8-)
Lots of Wood - 8-)

Funny, I don't remember being absentminded...

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:03 pm

Someone told me a few weeks ago about super gluing blue painters tape back to back to make double-sided painters tape. I told that to another guy, who then called me the other day to thank me for the tip. Said he couldn't believe how well it held, and because the blue painters tape comes off so easily, that it peels easily and doesn't leave any residue. I still haven't tried it myself, but it sounds promising.

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:35 pm

Someone posted about this method on the cnc router tips facebook group a few weeks back. The facebook group is awesome and if anybody on here is not not a member you should join lots of info.

here is a link to the video describing how to do it

https://youtu.be/3uTsQ3dYRrk

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:19 am

I got banned from the CNC Router Tips Facebook group. Keep in mind that I never once tried to sell or promote any of our products or services, not once. Instead I was out there simply helping people. When I reached out to Bill Griggs to ask why he banned me, he wouldn't message me about it but instead wanted me to call him to discuss as if he had some sort of hidden agenda that he didn't want to put into writing.

But there is actually a PROBOTIX users group FaceBook group instead.

martan3d

Postby martan3d » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Great idea, thanks for that video. I'll certainly give it a try.

Return to “Open Talk”