Z axis repeatability

A place to talk about anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.
sawnsand

Z axis repeatability

Postby sawnsand » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:57 pm

I have been having an issue with some simple text. All seems well in the Vcarve file, but when I go to cut the text it gets progressively deeper. Cut starts at the prescribed depth (.06) and when its done depth has gone to (.11). I am using a 30 degree vbit for this cut... seems as if the Z axis is having trouble holding its own during this cut. 7 lines, about 140 letters, so there is a lot of up and down on the z axis.... In the same file I have two pocket cuts with a 1/4" end mill that run in opposing directions to get a smooth surface, Z axis holds very well during this cut. Any suggestions?

Meteor
V Carve Pro
Sawnsand
-just south of Kansas Speedway

beltramidave

Re: Z axis repeatability

Postby beltramidave » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:30 pm

Since you are surfacing the material with your pocket routine, I would think that would rule out an uneven surface, which was my first thought. I would double check that the set screws for your Z axis coupling are tight and nothing is slipping. Also make sure your bit is tight in the collet. Maybe slow down your plunge speed..

Dave

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:46 pm

Good suggestions, I did find the coupler would take about 1/8 turn tightening.. I released both set screws and retightened. I am going to reduce plunge speed also. First have to stop by and get some cheap material to test those adjustments ;)
Sawnsand

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Tightening the coupler, and reducing the plunge rate from 30 in/min to 15 in/min have made things right again ...
Sawnsand

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Glad it helped. I would think that you should be able to plunge faster than 15IPM though without losing steps.

Dave

Return to “Open Talk”