DIY Organizer for Harbor Freight Storage Cases

Post your videos here
OakLines

DIY Organizer for Harbor Freight Storage Cases

Postby OakLines » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:21 pm

I really like the Harbor Freight Storage Cases –self-contained mobile storage - clear top so you can see what’s inside - removable part bins. You can take the whole case or an individual bin with you to work on a project.

Stack up several of these cases - however - and it quickly become a giant game of Jenga as you shift cases around to find what you need. This is a tiny set of shelves to allow direct access to any Case in the stack.

A fun Saturday afternoon project with the Probotix Asteroid CNC Router. Ok – well had to wait for the glue to dry overnight– so completed the next day.

https://youtu.be/aF3uSmHd-QA

Storage_Rack_HarborFreight.Still003.jpg
Storage_Rack_HarborFreight.Still003.jpg (741.17 KiB) Viewed 7844 times

4DThinker

Re: DIY Organizer for Harbor Freight Storage Cases

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:44 pm

Nicely done! I also am a fan of these storage cases, although the ones I bought have the Stanley brand on them. I also made a rack for my cases, although just with sticks of wood (had plenty in my shop) and some joinery I cut on my Meteor. I have a label maker, so I don't have to guess/remember what is in each case. I don't have all of mine filled, and have a little more room to add a few more in that rack.

Rack Small.jpg
Standing Rack 4D
Rack Small.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 7840 times

4D

OakLines

Postby OakLines » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:25 am

Nice work - I love the rails and the free standing design - and room for expansion - boy that's thinking ahead - very cool!

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:15 am

Dale

Where did you get your work clamps? The ones you use on your machine. That is a slick clamping solution.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:57 am

I spent a few days after buying these cases just collecting and sorting every nut/bolt/screw/etc., that lived in my shop or house and has been playing hide & seek with me the last few decades. I know I was spending more and more time hunting for the three screws I knew I had and needed for whatever project. Hunting time had grown to more than making time and had lost its fun factor many years back. Always a joy to find exactly what I needed without a trip to the hardware store. Never a pleasant search though. Now there is ONE spot in my house where all hardware needs are met, or definitely aren't met.

I highly recommend such a system to anyone who has a growing collection of nuts/bolts/screws/hooks/tacks/brads/nails/snaps/clips/springs/etc.. Then LABEL the cases.

4D

OakLines

Postby OakLines » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:13 pm

beltramidave wrote:Dale

Where did you get your work clamps? The ones you use on your machine. That is a slick clamping solution.

They are Festool Clamping Elements - designed to work with their MFT surfaces.
I machined similar holes directly into the MDF pallet and it seems to work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JN ... ge_o00_s00

Best Regards
Dale

OakLines

Postby OakLines » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:21 pm

4DThinker wrote:I spent a few days after buying these cases just collecting and sorting every nut/bolt/screw/etc., that lived in my shop or house and has been playing hide & seek with me the last few decades. I know I was spending more and more time hunting for the three screws I knew I had and needed for whatever project. Hunting time had grown to more than making time and had lost its fun factor many years back. Always a joy to find exactly what I needed without a trip to the hardware store. Never a pleasant search though. Now there is ONE spot in my house where all hardware needs are met, or definitely aren't met.

I highly recommend such a system to anyone who has a growing collection of nuts/bolts/screws/hooks/tacks/brads/nails/snaps/clips/springs/etc.. Then LABEL the cases.

4D

Yes - similar experience here!
Looking forward to having everything in one place - so you can quickly find what you need and move on - or know that you don't have it and plan accordingly.

Best Regards
Dale

Return to “Videos”