Ejecting USB drive

Discuss software here
sseale

Ejecting USB drive

Postby sseale » Wed May 10, 2017 9:59 pm

I use a USB drive to txfer g-code files to the Linux controller PC. Sometimes I need to make a change to the g-code and need to unmount the drive but get an error message stating the drive is busy. There is an option to unmount anyway, but it does not unmount if that is chosen. End up having to just pull the USB out without correctly ejecting and leads to error messages and possible corrupt files (has not yet happened).
Any idea why I can't unmount the drive? I've tried both USB ports on the front and tried different drives.
Thanks,
Scott

HANNAH024

Re: Ejecting USB drive

Postby HANNAH024 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 am

sseale
I tried your procedure and when I transferred a file to a folder on my desktop and then selected FILE and SAFELY REMOVE DRIVE or EJECT
the unmount procedure failed.
However, when I right-click the mouse on the name of the USB drive and select SAFELY REMOVE DRIVE the usb drive is closed for removal from the computer.
Hope this helps you.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

sseale

Postby sseale » Thu May 11, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks, will try this procedure next time I have access to the machine. Could be that reading the gcode file directly from the USB drive is the root of the problem.
Regards,
Scott

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Thu May 11, 2017 1:52 pm

I only get a busy error when I'm running/have opened a file that is on the USB drive. If you make a point to copy the file you want to cut to the linux PC before opening it you shouldn't have that problem.

I've edited my configuration(s) so that every time I try to open a file from within LinuxCNC it shows the desktop. As such I just drag the file I want to cut from my USB drive to the desktop. I also have a folder on the desktop named "Old Cut Files" and I drag them into it when I no longer need them. That keeps the file list simple and short when I'm opening a file from LinuxCNC.

4D

Bobtail Farm

Ejecting USB drive

Postby Bobtail Farm » Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 am

I use Second Copy on both my PCs (one where I create the g-code files and the other controls my CNC), with it set up on the first PC to copy from the PC to the thumb drive all my g-code files (and it doesnt copy all each time, only new/modified files), and on the second PC, copies those files (new/modified) from the drive to my CNC-connected PC (along with creating any new sub-directories where I've placed those files typically by project).

Return to “Software”