edit tool table

Discuss software here
KenW

edit tool table

Postby KenW » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi all -
So, just getting started with Linuxcnc and am quite lost. I know that I need to set up tools so the program can find them, but when I go to File and press "edit tool table" nothing happens. I don't see any table.
I searched around and found a text file called tool and can see some listings but not sure what every column means.
Is there a tutorial or can some explain this simply?

Also, I connected a network cable so I can access programs that way instead of using a usb drive, but again, where do I go to find other computers on my network?

Any help please.

Ken

4DThinker

Re: edit tool table

Postby 4DThinker » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:57 pm

LinuxCNC does have a tool table which keeps track of where the bottom of your installed bits are (relative to where Z=0 is), but it is updated as part of the tool change process when a running file encounters a new tool.

If you are using Cut2D, VCarve Pro, or Aspire then the tool database in those apps is where you assign numbers to each unique tool you are using. The toolpath file that you save out using the post processor has that tool number info in it for LinuxCNC to recognize.

4D

KenW

Postby KenW » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:12 pm

Hi 4D -

Been away, but need to understand the tool table now that I'm back at my machine.

I don't have any of those programs, so I need to set up the tools manually.

My file is calling for T13 which in my CAD (solidworks & hsmworks) is a 1/8" dia Ball

When I load the file I get an error that says "requested tool 13 not found in tool table"

But I manually typed in the Tool Table: POC=13 FMS=14 LEN=1.0 Dia= .125 and then I saved the change.

Why isn't the tool found?

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Any chance you've got the ATLas Tool length sensor on your CNC? I'm not familiar with solidworks or hsmworks, but LinuxCNC keeps a table of where the bottom of each bit is relative to where you've set Z=0, and that table is built when it encounters a new tool number in your toolpath file. You don't add a value but the ATLas routine sets it when your newly installed bit contacts the ATLas sensor. I don't personally have any experience with the ATLas option and don't know anything more about it than I've already stated. There may be an upper limit to the tool numbers it adds. There may be an inconsistency between the data created by the post processor you are using and what LinuxCNC expects.

If you don't have the ATLas sensor then you should not be using a (ATC) post processor that saves toolpaths with more than one tool definition in the same file. LinuxCNC configured with no ATC routines will generate errors like the one you mention if it encounters more than one tool number reference in the .NGC file.

If what I've said makes no sense, then you should contact support@probotix.com.

4D

KenW

Postby KenW » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Hi 4D,
Ok, what I was able to do is open the tool table and manually type in my tools and save.
I've found out that I need to close out of the program, and upon opening it again,
the Tool Table was updated.
I understand the Diameter and Pocket and tool number, but "Len" I assume is length, which I don't think I need
since I'm zeroing the tool for each job I run.
But what is the FMS setting, and do I need it if I'm running in Manual?

Ken

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:31 pm

KenW wrote:But what is the FMS setting, and do I need it if I'm running in Manual?

Ken
It looks like you are talking about features/options in some software I'm not familiar with. I use Aspire from vectric.com for both drawing up (CAD) and then creating toolpaths (CAM) for my CNC projects. There are no LEN or FSM variables/options to set in my tool database so I can't help you with those. In LinuxCNC I only encounter a tool number reference when I load a file that is using a tool number that is different than it last used.

You might look for a dedicated forum on using Solidworks/hsmworks.

4D

Return to “Software”