Confused

Discuss software here
KenW

Confused

Postby KenW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:31 am

I have a new Asteroid and tried to look up the manual of the linuxcnc on line, but none of the versions show the same screen that I have on my system. For one thing, there is no "touch off" button. Instead there are radio buttons for x,y,and z and a button that says "set axis" below them.
There are also separate buttons on the right side of the screen that say "set x-y home" and "set z home".
So which do I use when I want to set my x,y,and z to 0 at my desired offset?

I also set the x and y to a work offset with G55 but after the program finishes, it homes back to something else.

Can anyone help?

Ken

HANNAH024

Re: Confused

Postby HANNAH024 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:13 am

Ken
On the right hand side of your screen there are some shortcut buttons (Set xy origin and Set Z origin).
You will notice that when one of these buttons is clicked the Register value for the appropriate axis is set to zero.
On the left hand side of your screen there are two buttons (Home Machine) and Set Axis Origin).
When the "Set Axis Origin" is selected you have the option of entering zero or some other value.
Entering zero would give you the same results as clicking on one of the buttons on the right hand side of the screen described above.
I use the set axis origin when I set the location of the top of my stock. I have a piece of material that is 0.500 inches thick.
I place it on the top of my workpiece and jog down until I can feel the tip of the cutter dragging on the surface of my 0.500 block and
then I click the Set Axis Origin button and enter 0.500 and the system knows that the z origin is 0.5 below the tip of the cutter.
In other words, the origin has been set to zero and I did not mark the surface of my workpiece.
Hope this helps. When you are jogging the z axis down, don't forget when you get close to the surface with the tip of the cutter you
need to change the step value from continuous to a smaller value. I usually use 0.005.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:27 am

Ken
There is an excellent "introduction to CNC" on the Vectric website under the support tab.
or use this link.
http://www.vectric.com/support/introduction-to-cnc.html
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

KenW

Postby KenW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:19 am

Hi Hanna,
Thanks for that explanation about the difference. I've been basically doing similar, except I zero to the top of my material because the thickness of my mdf varies slightly and slots that I'm making are more important for the depth from the top surface. But good to know that either button will do the same.

Any idea why after specifying g55 as my offset, the xy doesn't return to the same place if I press "return to x-y" button. Does the end of the file automatically go back to g54 or something else?
Ken

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 am

When it goes back to this unknown location, what do the position registers say as the current location?
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

KenW

Postby KenW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:26 am

Forgot to look. I'll check tonight.

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:43 pm

Ken,

A couple of ways you can figure this out. Look at the last couple lines in your toolpath file and look to see if G53 or G54 are there. If so, then that is where you are changing work coordinates from G55. Another way is to go in to the MDI tab right after the file finishes running and it will tell you what the current coordinate system is.

You can edit your post processor to prevent this if you want.

To answer your question as to why the interface looks different (more buttons), is because Probotix has modified it from the standard Linuxcnc interface. That is one of the great things about Linuxcnc, being able to modify to your liking.

Dave

KenW

Postby KenW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:12 pm

Hi Dave,
Don't have the code in front of me, and I remember looking for G54, but not the G53, which might be there. Can't I just remove that line, or follow it with my G55 to stay with my coordinates?
Ken

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:22 pm

You can remove it if you want. Keep in mind, that it is probably in there to safely move the axis to a known position.
G53 commands are only good for that specific line, unlike G54-59 which are modal ( I believe that is the correct terminology).
As long as you always specify your coordinate system at the beginning of each toolpath file, it really shouldn't matter.

KenW

Postby KenW » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:27 pm

Ok. I understand. Thanks much!
Ken

Return to “Software”