setting up a network on LinuxCNC Control PC

Discuss software here
Ilovemycomet

setting up a network on LinuxCNC Control PC

Postby Ilovemycomet » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:07 pm

I read it's not recommended to hookup the LinuxCNC Control PC to the internet due to auto updates. But is there a way to set up a network using a router to communicate with a windows pc. My projects are a (1) one time run and I run about 30 a day on 3 different comets. Currently I'm using a thumb drive to transfer the gcode file off my design computer. I use "Box" (cloud) to store all my files so I can design on any of my 4 window computers and the gcode goes to the cloud to one folder.
SO...can I connect to the internet to access my files without doing a auto update?

Thank you for your time

pearcrl

Re: setting up a network on LinuxCNC Control PC

Postby pearcrl » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:41 pm

I have a wireless network attached to my pc, however I keep it turned off unless I actually need it. I also have all auto updates disabled. I created a new email strictly for my comet (comet@???.com) and just email programs from my design computer. A lot less hassle than using flash drives that I can't find or covered in dust.
Rick, Comet owner

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:06 pm

I am networked as well, haven't had issues. I have a file share I have set up that I use as a dumping ground.

rayk2

Postby rayk2 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:53 pm

Is there anyone out there who can help me network my Linux with my PC? I am a neophyte when it comes to Linux and I too would like to be able to share files between my PC's and the Linux without having to use a thumb drive. Thanks in advance!

probotixmissy

Postby probotixmissy » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:29 pm

Definitely disable auto updates, newer models have this off by default. LinuxCNC comes precompiled so if the underlying OS (Ubuntu 10.04 I believe) updates anything it will break the real time kernel LinuxCNC needs. Then you have to do a reinstall of the OS/LinuxCNC. Thumb drives are the norm, you can network via the Ethernet port but it's a huge pain Windows does not play nice with Linux especially anything after XP. We recommend keeping the Linux box just for CNC control and use USB for your g-code files. So many variables I would google a how to for the version of windows but be prepared for security problems and other head scratchers. Samba is easy enough on Ubuntu but If you are not familiar with linux or unix command line ops I would not even try you will spend more time learning the OS than you want. Good Luck!
>Melissa

“Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine.”
― Alan Turing

salomon

Postby salomon » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:28 pm

What I made was install Dropbox in both Design and control PCs, and share a folder with the G-code files.

I dont know if it the best solution but it works for me, the files are updated in less than 10sec.

Best regards
Probotix Meteor | 4th Axis | SuperPID with Dewalt DWP-611 Router

Return to “Software”