Rotary Axis Error: Joint 3 Following Error

Discuss software here
sgano

Rotary Axis Error: Joint 3 Following Error

Postby sgano » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:45 pm

I get "Joint 3 Following Errors" on many occasions when moving the rotary axis. Sometimes it is when jogging it; other times this happens during the middle of a run when the cutter is not moving very fast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I suspect it has to do with the settings in the hal .ini file. My current settings seem to be a lot different than the "new" Probotix config. What are the correct parameter values?

Here are my current values:
[AXIS_3]
TYPE = ANGULAR
HOME = 0
MAX_VELOCITY = 85.0
MAX_ACCELERATION = 200
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 240
SCALE = 6.6666
FERROR = 0.05
MIN_FERROR = 0.01
HOME_IGNORE_LIMITS = 1
HOME_SEQUENCE = 0

HANNAH024

Re: Rotary Axis Error: Joint 3 Following Error

Postby HANNAH024 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:15 am

Sgano

I got the same error and my machine would shut down. A friend's machine got the same thing when he used his rotary.
I called Len at Probotix and was told to run the new configuration generator program.
I downloaded the file, ran it on my old Comet machine and had to change the scale and the Max Velocity values in the ini file and
have not gotten the Joint 3 error since making the new configuration.
Ran the configuration file on my friends new comet and he has NOT gotten the joint 3 error since.
His machine has the Unity controller and a vfd spindle and his ran fine with the new configuration file.
He and I thought it was a little fast on the rotary. It would zip around so fast you couldn't see the chuck move so
I changed the values for the rotary in the "ini file" of the Default velocity and the MAX_VELOCITY to smaller values.
I would have to see his "ini file" again to know exactly what values we ended up using.
Both machines have been running great since running the configurator file.
The latest Configuration generator file was dated July 2016. Here is the link to the file.

http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/ ... figuration
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

sgano

Postby sgano » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:04 pm

Thanks - I am hesitant to re-run the configurator since I have done a lot of customization to the AXIS interface (like adding a job timer and buttons for commands I use a lot). I also have added a large number of custom commands to the Xbox controller -- I can run most everything from it and hardly have to use the computer keyboard.

So I just parsed through the config script and have pulled out the parameters for the 4th axis. Yes they were really fast. So I went back to a different set of parameters I also found in a config on the wiki that seems to work much smoother and without errors (so far). Thanks for the suggestion as that got me looking in new locations (and confirmation that it was just a software config issue).

sgano

Postby sgano » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:03 am

Here are the values that seemed to work well for me:

[AXIS_3]
TYPE = ANGULAR
HOME = 0
MAX_VELOCITY = 65.0
MAX_ACCELERATION = 150
STEPGEN_MAXACCEL = 200
SCALE = 6.6666
FERROR = 0.08