Adjustable Angle Clamping Fixture

Show off your handy work here
4DThinker

Re: Adjustable Angle Clamping Fixture

Postby 4DThinker » Fri May 06, 2016 6:18 am

Nice job for a version 1 Brian!

I'll admit that the one I show here is version 2.5. First version was just a pivoting rack that was a pain to install as it had to fit between two rails, and you had to blind install 4 bolts into pre-installed slot nuts each time you wanted to use it. I did a 1.5 that wasn't much better. Took a year to start to realize a better way which was inspired by some simple fixed angle jigs I came up with. That was 2.0. Made this 2.5 version after realize I needed a quicker way to clamp it in place once I had the angle found. Finished a 2.75 version for my students to use that would allow boards as wide as the frame inside width, with all the angle-fixing parts underneath, and tracks to hold the angle bolted to the front legs of the machine base.

The key is to never settle until all flaws (even minor ones) are designed out of the fixture. I'm hoping I get there by version 4 or 5.

4D

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:39 pm

Very cool set up.

Thank You for sharing.

Bobtail Farm

Adjustable Angle Clamping Fixture

Postby Bobtail Farm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:16 am

4dThinker:

Thought my prototype modification (adding a positioner) to your adjustable angle clamping fixture would be of interest and pay you a compliment to your design, and generosity in sharing. The fixture is pictured at full extension (i.e., the board clamped to the fixture would be 90 degrees, more or less to the endmill; that is, flat on the table). It is adjustable so that the board clamped to the fixture may vertical to the table. In other words, so I can rout the end of the board. And, anywhere in between. Pictured in the lower left of the fixture is a "speed socket" (from the rear). The front is the negative of the handle on the positionere (with a hole for the dowel on the handle). I chuck the speed socket in a cordless drill/driver and I can quickly crank along, fine tuning by hand and referencing my angle gauge.

I use this frequently. So much so, I've got on my to do list to explore building this in extruded aluminum for the plates and fences, and acme screw and related parts for the positioner.

thanks.

Regards,
Brian.
Attachments
IMG_0194 Prototype positioner for joint milling table.jpg
IMG_0194 Prototype positioner for joint milling table.jpg (98.88 KiB) Viewed 2516 times

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:38 pm

Very clever update to the design Brian. Thanks for posting the photo. Although it doesn't take me too long to set the angle on my version a more precise way to set it is something I've been pondering.

I also have been considering making a version out of aluminum plate as there is some flex in the plywood version I'm using now. We often cut through slots and through holes at assorted angles using it that damage the clamp plate. I'd hate to chew up an aluminum clamp plate. I don't mind cutting into my plywood plate as it is fairly easy to replace if it gets too bad.

I'd say 90% of what we cut is with the jig set vertical. It sure comes in handy when an angled cut is needed though.

4D

Bobtail Farm

Postby Bobtail Farm » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:05 am

Thanks. And I have a fixed angle jig built @ 90 degrees (sometimes I do have to shim it) 'cause most of my stuff too is cut at 90.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 am

Latest version of my jig now installed on a Comet (GX2525).
GX2525_KSU.jpg
GX2525_KSU.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 107 times

4D

Return to “Projects”