Chess Set - well almost!

Show off your handy work here
HANNAH024

Chess Set - well almost!

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:10 pm

Here are a couple of pictures of my latest project. I saw the plans for a Fretwork Chess Set in the Fall 2017 issue of Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts and decided that I would make a similar set using my Probotix Comet. I photographed the patterns for each chess piece as published in the magazine's pull-out section and imported the jpeg images into Aspire. Then they were traced and converted into vector images. I then decided to make a few changes. I wanted the individual chess piece's body to be two pieces that would slide together and lock in place. Then I added a tab on the bottom of each piece to fit into a recess in a base piece. I allowed 0.005" for a snug but sliding fit. The pictures show the King assembled with NO GLUE. The base will be glued into place but the fit is perfect. I had to wax the tangs that I cut in the slot on the side piece in order to get the pieces to slide together. I said Chess Set - almost because I have only made the King and the Queen pieces in 1/4" thick black walnut. I changed the tolerance from the default of 0.001" to 0.010" in the post processor and ran a 1/16" flat carbide 2 flute end mill at 50 IPM with no problems. The picture shows the king assembled and the queen prior to assembly.
PDR_4860.JPG
PDR_4860.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4552 times
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

HANNAH024

Re: Chess Set - well almost!

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:13 pm

The Queen assembled without a problem. It also required the tabs to be waxed. Without wax, I could not push hard enough to slide the two pieces together. With wax the assembly process required considerable pressure but they slid together and locked in place.
PDR_4863.JPG
PDR_4863.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 4551 times
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:20 pm

Nicely done! Thanks for posting photos.

My local woodworkers group puts on a club show 3 or 4 times a year and I always walk through to take a gander and complement the makers. Many do scroll saw work and every time I see their work I think to myself "if they only knew what I can do using my CNC...". One chap does amazing chip carving to decorate turned bowl/plates and my mind goes to the same place.... the V-carving feature of Vcarve/Aspire could easily duplicate what is shown.

https://www.google.com/search?newwindow ... MBRjtZ5Ph4

Then again, it takes more than just knowing what one can do with their tools. You've done more than just automate some scroll saw pattern. You figured out how to turn them into usable data you could turn into tool paths, then followed through with tweaking the patterns for assembly and fit and making them your own. Well done!

4D

politicaldog

Postby politicaldog » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:43 am

Very Nice.
Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier!

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:03 am

They look very good. Nice job. :mrgreen:

Return to “Projects”