Rosettes

Show off your handy work here
HANNAH024

Rosettes

Postby HANNAH024 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:10 pm

I get a cautious feeling when someone starts a conversation with "You have a CNC router don't you?" or with "Can you make". But a friend of mine is working on church pews and he needed to match rosettes to what was on the pews originally. The pews are over 100 years old and thinking that he would not want to rip one off of an existing pew, I told him that I would have to have an original one to use as a pattern. His comment was, "I was afraid you would say that" and when I smiled, he said I just happen to have one here in my pocket, and he handed it to me. I was trapped so I said OK, give me a few days. Yesterday I searched the internet for rosette cutters and found out they were expensive. This morning I woke up at 4am with Rosette on my mind. I booted up Aspire and started creating a 3D model of the original rosette. In a couple of hours and 4 cups of tea (I can no longer drink coffee) I had what I believed to be a 3D model along with the toolpaths to cut a replacement rosette on my Probotix Asteroid cnc. The rosettes are made of 5/8" thick cherry. I cut them using a 1/4" tapered to 1/16' ball end mill. The roughing cut was programmed at 150 IPM (It never got over 90 IPM) since it was always going up and down and the rosette was only 3" in diameter.
The DOC was 0.20" with a step over of 0.075"with the RPM at 27000. The roughing pass was left 0.04" on the surface that was removed with a finish pass using same cutter but with a step over of .01". The finish pass was followed with a profile cut to cut out the part. I am including a couple of pictures. One is a picture of the model in Aspire and then a picture of the original rosette along with the first two copies that I cut. The copies are not sanded. They are exactly as they came off the Asteroid and they are so smooth that I don't plan to sand them.
rosette.jpg
The original and two copies
rosette.jpg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

HANNAH024

Re: Rosettes

Postby HANNAH024 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Rosette model.jpg
Aspire model of Rosette
Rosette model.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

pete

Postby pete » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Looks good
I love my Nebula

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Looks great! Now the question is.... for the time spent drawing it up, and the time spent cutting them out on the CNC, are you still under the cost of a rosette cutter? ;)

4D

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:50 pm

At the pay rate of a retired teacher, I don't think I have made the cost of the rosette cutter.
At the pay rate for what I think I should be worth, Just the design part alone would have been enough.
On the other hand, If I had a rosette cutter, this job would have been finished hours ago and I would have to pay for entertainment to use up all of my spare time. Which is why I bought Aspire and my Asteroid CNC in the first place. So it all balances out and I am not hanging out on the street corner or the coffee shop wondering what I will do for the rest of the day. One of my retired friends remarked the other day on how much longer the days are now that he is retired. I said "not me, my days are shorter and the days are not nearly long enough. I'm still trying to find time to finish the T-Rexs for my Great Grandsons that I started a year or so ago. Another Aspire 3-D project that is getting close to being finished.
T-Rex.jpg
A pair of Walnut T-Rex Dinos.
T-Rex.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 2113 times
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:37 am

When you get done with the t-rex, there is always the u-rex, v-rex, and w-rex you can make. The delightful part of being able to make dinosaurs on your CNC is that you aren't limited to making versions of just those know beasts. Invent your own. ;) Name them after your grandsons.

4D

Return to “Projects”