Homemade Dust Boot

Show off your handy work here
salomon

Homemade Dust Boot

Postby salomon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Hello Everyone, I would like to show you a dust boot Prototype I've made for my CNC, (I've made also a cheap cyclone separator so it keeps my Shopvac almost dust free!)

dustboot.gif
dustboot.gif (1.82 MiB) Viewed 1955 times

It was made with several layers of 3mm plastic (you name it plexiglass I guess) glued together, its a little bit thick because it has air diverters, so the air coming from the router wont spread MDF or Wood particles with too much force al over the shop, I love the way it keeps the router kind of isolated and allow the light to pass through, and I Added a button so I can lock the router when changing bits.

I have not finished the last layer, the one that is suposed to have the skirt, I have not figured out what to use as skirt and how to paste it, as you can see it has Some rare erth magnets from scrapp HDD, so It will (hopefully) allow me to remove the skirt easily (have to add some iron element, I've found when tightening the Nuts the the wrench loves to be atracted by them very strong).

Want to know your opinion.

Best regards
Probotix Meteor | 4th Axis | SuperPID with Dewalt DWP-611 Router

TLHarrell

Re: Homemade Dust Boot

Postby TLHarrell » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:01 pm

I've done similar using hard drive magnets in the shroud and some screws in the part that attaches to the bottom of it. I do lose my wrench every few times I use it. I'm running only a couple pieces of 1/4" acrylic and the top is fairly wide so I have a space I can see the cutter through. Even without the skirt, it give me a measure of shielding from flying chips so I can look at what it's doing. The skirt I made on mine is just craft foam, two layers, cut like a rough comb and hot glued into a 1/8" wide, 3/16" deep slot near the edge.

First iteration, the hole around the collet was too big and allowed a huge amount of chips to get past. The spindle seems to produce nearly as much airflow as my dust collector in some spots. Visibility also wasn't very good.

Second one using wider viewing area and the craft foam skirt. Still using this one, but thinking of reversing the design so the magnets are on the bottom and the skirt is wider so it doesn't interfere with the cutter occasionally.

Return to “Projects”