Styrene Model Train Depot

Show off your handy work here
martan3d

Styrene Model Train Depot

Postby martan3d » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:48 pm

I do large scale outdoor model trains, here is a depot I made on my X90. It's cut out of .060 styrene sheet with a .125 base. I was doing these in wood but they just didn't fare well in the elements no matter how much I water proofed or painted. So far this one is doing quite well in the rain and grime.

probotix
Site Admin

Re: Styrene Model Train Depot

Postby probotix » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:19 pm

That's awesome! Is that G-scale?

martan3d

Postby martan3d » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:08 pm

Yes, G scale. In particular 1/29 scale as I run mostly USATrains and Aristocraft locomotives and rolling stock. My intention is to one day make kits to sell. When I retire or something maybe :)

I have a super PID that I dial down to 7500 rpm and I use PreciseBit 2-flute fish-tail end-mills. Very smooth cuts. I must say I LOVE styrene sheet. Cuts easy, solvent glue works great and you can paint it with rattle cans. I order in bulk from interstateplastics.com. You can get 10 sheets of .060 16x16 for about $50.

I'm using inkscape and the free Cambam version to do the design work. Love it.

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:26 pm

I am an HO scale modeller, and actually model railroading is what sparked PROBOTIX. I would love to see pics of the machine cutting these parts is you have any.

martan3d

Postby martan3d » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:35 pm

Really? Didn't know that. Neat. I do N scale inside too. But I prefer the larger scales, you can see them better! haha.

I don't have any specific pictures right now but I'm getting ready to start on a new project, I'll shoot some video of that and post it up.

Oh, here is one of a 'critter' I did on the X90, it's made of thin wood ply- the guys are 3D printed. It sits on a USATrains motor block.

Return to “Projects”