Recessed work area for more Z height.

Show off your handy work here
Juan Hidrovo

Re: Recessed work area for more Z height.

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Wow very cool project can see there.
Thank you for sharing.

Good job o2photo.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:33 pm

On a related topic, Probotix showed (on Facebook) a drawing of a taller gantry bracket they were considering as another way to gain back 2" or so of the available Z-travel. Fabrication of test parts to try it out was awaiting 3-phase electricity to be run to their new Florida shop. Image

I sure do like the sunken pit approach shown here though. The open frame (no gantry parts running under the table) of their CNCs makes all sorts of large projects to be CNC'd possible.

One extreme case I show here: http://4dfurniture.blogspot.com/2016/04/supporting-assembled-projects-beneath.html. In that case I made two support brackets to span between rails to hang a student project on.

4D

o2photo

Postby o2photo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:20 pm

It sure has worked out great. We even had an instance where the top of his model was going to clip the moving portion of the Z carriage. Paused the file, lowered the router (did a puck on table as is and a puck after lowering to get the change), then ran into a warning of retract being beyond max Z, so with the pins being at 1/4" increments, we dropped the model down and made one more adjustment in the control software.

A few minutes of tweaking and it salvaged the last 10 minutes of an hours long job.

Marc

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:14 pm

Don't know what software you are using to create files for your CNC, but if it is VCarve or Aspire you can change the clearance Z and home Z values to smaller amounts to keep the bit from having to lift so high it generates that max Z warning. On the tool menu side they are under Material Setup (SET) submenu. By default I believe the Home Z value default is 0.8 inches. There have been many times when changing that to .2 or .1 has allowed me to cut projects in thick wood slabs.

Doesn't help though if your project is so high/thick that the router bit length and z travel limits still can't get over it. :(

4D

o2photo

Postby o2photo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:52 pm

It was actually fine until we had to move the router down and compensate the carriage up. He was watching it and saw the collision on its way. Then the errors after dropping the router, essentially creating an offset. Some calculations later, and it was about 1mm too much, and the file was in process already (10 minutes to go on a long file), so it was handy being able to drop the model down in that recess another notch.

Return to “Projects”