Rotary attachment carved Baseball Bat

Show off your handy work here
Hannah7824@att.net

Rotary attachment carved Baseball Bat

Postby Hannah7824@att.net » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:08 pm

A fellow teacher wanted a decorative carved baseball bat for her Mother's 88 th birthday. She is a big Cubs fan. How do you turn down doing something for an 88 yr old lady's birthday?
Attachments
IMG_2640.JPG
IMG_2640.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 4859 times

politicaldog

Re: Rotary attachment carved Baseball Bat

Postby politicaldog » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:32 am

I like that! Nice Work
Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier!

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Good job.

Im trying to use my 4th axis but got no luck yet.
I have Vcarve pro 8 And am able to make the drawings. But how do I save the file to be proccesed.
Do yo have to set up with a different post proccessor or the EMC2 Arcs(inch)(*ngc) can be use.

thank you.

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:44 pm

JUAN
You need the WRAP post for the rotary to work.
To get the rotary to work satisfactorily you need to also process the file with the Rapid Rotary Conversion Processor.
linuxCNCwrapXtoA.zip
(3.8 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

I have attached three LinuxCNC WRAP PostProcessors. They are in one ZIP file. So copy the zip file to your computer and then unzip the file.
The three wrap post processors are the same except they have different tolerance values. One has 0.001" tolerance. The 2nd one has 0.005" tolerance and the third one has 0.010" tolerance. The tighter the tolerance the slower the program will cut.
When you post process your file for the rotary using the Wrap Post Processor the speed will be based on the number of inches per minute that was defined in your cutter specifications. The problem is when you convert the X movement to A (rotary) movement the speed is changed to degrees per minute...... So if you specifed 100 IPM then it is converted to 100 Degrees per minute. That means to cut all the way around the piece you are cutting it would take 3.6 minutes. NOW THAT IS SLOW. What do you do.....That is were the Rapid Rotary program comes in.
Shawn Gano of GanoTechnologies wrote the Rapid Rotary program to solve this problem. As I understand how Rapid Rotary works, it takes the G94 command which creates a distance based cut file and converts it to a G93 time based cut file. So if you were planning to cut at 100 IPM the Rapid Rotary program figures how long is should take for the cut and creates the command to complete the cut it the calculated amount of time......
It takes the G94 code and converts it to a G93 code. Shawn explains it on his website and has a link to download the program.
NOTE....The Rapid Rotary program has the extension "JAR". Which means you must have Java Runtime Environment on the computer you are using to run the Rapid Rotary file. Java is a Free Download and Shawn Gano does not charge for the Rapid Rotary conversion program. He also has a LinuxCNC Wrap Post processor that you can download.
https://www.ganotechnologies.com/cnc/rapidrotary/
So the procedure is to post process your rotary file as you normally would using the WRAP Post Processor and create the NGC cut file. Load this NGC file into Rapid Rotary and convert it to a G93 based cut file. It will still have the NGC extension. Then load and run the G93 based cut file with the LinuxCNC control program.
Let me know how this works for you.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Hannah7824
That is a really great job...
Cutting on a spiral wrapping around the bat is tough.
Did your students plan out the spiral cutting or did you have to help them?
Either way it is a job well done and you should be proud.
Anyway, I am proud to call you BROTHER!
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:28 pm

HANNAH024.
Thank you very much for your help.
Im going to give a try and let you known if can do the carving.

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:38 am

Thank you HANNAH024 (just notice its your brother Hannah7824@att.net)

For the information and links to download it.

Just perform an air cut and everithing seems to work fine,
As soon I end a job Im doing gonna give a real test.

You Rock Sir.
Last edited by Juan Hidrovo on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hannah7824@att.net

Postby Hannah7824@att.net » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:05 pm

Thanks BROTHER for answering the rotary attachment question. I have been cutting things on a rotary for 14-15 years but I started doing it before the software added gadgets to their programs. I can do it my way but it doesn't exactly match the way the gadgets work.
So again Thanks big Brother for your excellent answer.

Return to “Projects”