12 volt power

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
sawnsand

12 volt power

Postby sawnsand » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 am

I am considering incorporating a halo LED light into the upper half of the dust boot. Can anyone tell me where I can tap a 12 volt power source in the controller or somewhere between it and the spindle?

Meteor w/80 mm spindle
Thanks
Craig C.
Sawnsand
-just south of Kansas Speedway

4DThinker

Re: 12 volt power

Postby 4DThinker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:25 pm

Sounds like an interesting idea. Looking at the back plate diagram of the Unity controller:
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Unity_Controller
It looks like at best you might find 5v on the AUX terminal.

In my younger days I tapped the power supply in my PC for 12v to run an auto amplifier to power speakers. Drilled a hole to mount a DC jack through the back plate. Not sure if the little Linux PC Probotix provides with their CNCs has a spare 12v lead on the internal power supply, but that's where I'd check to start.

Good luck, and please post a photo of your experiment if you get it working. Love to see it.

4D

beltramidave

Postby beltramidave » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:57 am

Not aware of any 12V sources in the Probotix controllers.
Dave

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:39 am

I did see the 5 volt on the controller board, obviously won't be enough. I thought someone with a bit of electrical knowledge might point to something I couldn't see or find. Thanks for the replies...

from the wiki ..."C: ROUTER - Connect to the 110VAC 3-prong power cable from the machine harness. On-screen spindle controls, as well as M3/M5 g-codes will control this output. When a VFD spindle is used instead of a router, this outlet can be used with for a shop vac and is controlled by M8/M9. This relay is controlled by parallel port pin 14."

Since I have the spindle I could use this outlet with a power converter (115 to 12 volt) and run the wires up thru the gantry harness ?? I am not clear on the M8/M9 ? Is this code inserted at some point? G-code cheat sheet has them labelled for spindle coolant... Is it an on/off for the "C" outlet?
Sawnsand

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:02 pm

I don't have a spindle, and just got finished replacing an older style controller with their new UNITY controller. This is just my guestimate:

It looks to me that you could use the AUX terminal to trigger a relay ON/OFF that connects your LED power 12v supply to AC power. If the 12v power lead is run through the gantry to where it hooks up with your LED strip, you should then have control of turning the LEDs on and off using M8 (on)/M9(off) commands.

1. You can type these directly into the command tab side of LinuxCNC.
2. They might already be part of the start/end g-code commands that are issued in addition to every file you run and would be part of the probotix.INI file on the PC. Not sure about this.
3. You could add them to the post processor you use to save files from your CAM program so that they activate when a file runs and de-activate when the file is done.

It all depends on what you want. if you want full control of when the lights go on and off then you'll have to use option 1 above.
You might get lucky and find they already work via option 2 above.
If using one of Vectrics product as a CAM package their post processors are text files you can open and edit using notepad. It is fairly obvious what/where things are done in their post processors files if you just open and examine them. There is a Post Processor editing guide somewhere.

4D

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks 4D
Ordered a pair of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/251564693042 US 2X 90mm HID White 105 COB LED 12-24V Angel Eyes Halo Ring
90mm outside diam, 80 mm inside diam. Should fit in there OK without a whole lot of whitling...and will no doubt shed a bit of light on the subject :lol:
I will look into the suggestions you offered up and see what shakes out as the best/easiest way to go
Sawnsand

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:44 pm

LED fit in nicely, not much work to put in place.. a bit of whittling for the tabs on the LED lens. It's almost like it was made for this application ! Mounted it to the bottom side of the top half of the dust boot with double sided tape, a few mils thick so it holds the LED in place and also acts as a bit of a gasket to seal it off. Bottom half of boot and brush fit right on as before... I will need to finish wiring it up. I have a 115 to 12 volt converter that I use for edge lit signs, goes to 5 amps, should be plenty. I will plug into a power strip I have on the table/cabinet for the meteor, with an on/off toggle, maybe mounted in the electrical box on the Z axis carriage... It certainly shed a bit more light than the little flashlight and bracket I have been using :idea:
IMAG0397.jpg
IMAG0397.jpg (443.46 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Sawnsand

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:19 pm

IMAG0399.jpg
IMAG0399.jpg (357.67 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Sawnsand

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:20 pm

IMAG0400.jpg
IMAG0400.jpg (341.48 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
Sawnsand

sawnsand

Postby sawnsand » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:21 pm

The flashlight and bracket is of no use to me now, it did serve its purpose well.
It slips in the clamp gap and is easily removed without any tools... They are free for the asking :shock: ...batteries (used) included !

IMAG0402.jpg
IMAG0402.jpg (350.37 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
Sawnsand

Return to “Machine Mechanics”