Touch Probe

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
HTScott

Touch Probe

Postby HTScott » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi, just curious if anyone has added a touch probe to their system, to cut onto a curved surface. Looking at a DIY model with the G-Code Ripper software. Not sure how to wire it up or the software changes that would need to be
made. I read through the examples on the wiki, but still not sure. If anyone has any experience in
adding one, probe they used or built would be very helpful . Have the Nebula cnc .

Thanks for any help

4DThinker

Re: Touch Probe

Postby 4DThinker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 am

I have a ruby tipped probe that I bought as an accessory for my old CNC Shark. Their controller software has a routine for using the probe that will make 3D models of the shape you probe. I never used it much.

I did recently add a touch plate to my Meteor, and spent some time reverse engineering the code created by Probotix' configuration software. It wouldn't be a far stretch to use my old probe and a macro for surface mapping, but outputting the resulting grid coordinates to a file is currently beyond my experience.

4D

probotix
Site Admin

Re: Touch Probe

Postby probotix » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:29 am

It would be easy to do on our machines. You would need to wire it into the second parallel port and connect it to the probe-in signal in the software configuration.

There are several links to more info and some sample g-code routines here:
http://www.probotix.com/wiki/index.php/Probing

Return to “Machine Mechanics”