Am i Racked or Frame out of square

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
DashingDave2015

Am i Racked or Frame out of square

Postby DashingDave2015 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:00 am

I had an accident where one of the y axis screws wrapped up a mini blind cord and lifted and dropped nebula on one corner about a foot off the ground. Things have not been right since. When I tried to home afterwards i get a loud ratcheting noise, chatter and a shut down with a limit switch 1 error before the carriage hit the limit switch stops. I could not get the carriage to the home position so i moved the y axis limit switches to 5 inches from the zero the end of the table. The machine will home now. I have not tried cutting anything yet because i am worried that i may have knocked the table out of square or damaged a screw block. I ran to the other end of the table to the y limit switches and the carriage hangs at that end when i try to run it back to zero. I can see the carriage is a about a half inch away from the end of the table on one side when the other is against the end. is it possible to strip the screw blocks? Any suggestions?
David Lee Smith
Time Traveler
"I go from yesterday to tomorrow"
Http://SilversmithingClass.com

4DThinker

Re: Am i Racked or Frame out of square

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:39 am

It is more likely that the plastic drive nut(s) have stripped. See if you can manually push the gantry forward and back on either side. If so then you need a new anti-backlash drive nut or two.

http://www.probotix.com/CNC-CONTROL-SYS ... COMPONENTS

You might also check that the Y axis limit switches are properly connected.

DashingDave2015

Postby DashingDave2015 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:45 am

thank you, not at home now will check
David Lee Smith
Time Traveler
"I go from yesterday to tomorrow"
Http://SilversmithingClass.com

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Since you can home the machine, apparently both of the Y motors are moving the carriage. So with the controller off and the spoilboard table removed, I would square up the frame and inspect it carefully for bent or broken parts. Then I would turn the Y motors by hand until the carriage is parallel with the end of the machine and power up and jog it back and forth a few times. If it seems to jog OK without binding, make sure the two Y limit switch stops are equal distance from the end plate and then HOME the machine. Hopefully, it will home without binding and you can replace the spoilboard and run a program.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

Return to “Machine Mechanics”