Lost Second Y Axis Motor

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
TLHarrell

Lost Second Y Axis Motor

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:13 pm

Was running some parts for the wife who needs this project completed before next weekend. Went to start cycle on the next batch of parts and the gantry racks out of alignment and makes a hellish noise from the front left motor (skipping steps). There's a joint 1 limit switch thrown. Turned off the machine, turned both sides of the gantry to get it off the end of travel and get it closer to square. Powered it up, and the same thing happens when I tell it to home. GRRRRRRRRRGH. Past limit on joint 1.

The right side motor is powered and holding position. I sounds perfectly normal with that low white noise it generates when stopped between steps. It just will not move when commanded and immediately the controller throws an error. It's not on the limit switches at all. I shut it down last night and decided to end it for the day.

Tonight I found the pinout chart for the 8 pin XLR connector and checked with multimeter. All home switches are operating normally. Wiggling the (soldered in place) wires at the switches doesn't cause any blips on continuity (I use a swing needle multimeter) while depressing the switches causes the needle to swing back to infinite ohms. Tested on every pair of pins and results were as expected.

Pretty sure the diver is ok, although at it's age it's always a possibility. Anywhere else I should be looking to get this thing running again and save my wife's project?

Checked resistance across motor windings and for some reason I'm seeing short across all 5 pins. That is unexpected. But it's the same for all motors. Bizarre.

TLHarrell

Re: Lost Second Y Axis Motor

Postby TLHarrell » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:40 pm

And now it's working perfectly again.... *bangs head on workbench

Return to “Machine Mechanics”