Router upgrades

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
Impyman18

Router upgrades

Postby Impyman18 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:21 pm

I figure I'd start and upgrade thread for my late 2013 Asteroid.

Planned upgrades:

1.Replace PC892 router with 2.2KW 120V Water cooled spindle and VFD
    2. Install ATLas Tool Length Sensor
    3. Make/install Z touch plate
    4. Install touchscreen monitor
    5. Build Vacuum table
    6. Revamp dust collection

Impyman18

Re: Router upgrades

Postby Impyman18 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:24 pm

1st order: Spindle upgrade wit

I picked up the spindle/VFD from Ebay, mount from PB, C6 from cnc4pc.com, water pump from Amazon, hose and fittings from HomeDepot.

I plan to route all the water lines through the cable chain so I'll have to upgrade to a taller chain.

Josh at PB has given me a run down on the wiring.

I've added the BOB and C6 (VFD controller) to the Diagram from PB's diagram.

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Hello,

I just purchased a VFD and motor as well (not water cooled, air cooled in my case) that I'd like to add.

What kind of software changes did you have to make in order to be able to control the VFD from LinuxCNC?

Thanks!

Matt

Postby Matt » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:27 pm

I am also interested in this. I been thinking about picking up one of the 110VAC 1.5kw spindles.

Thanks

Impyman18

Postby Impyman18 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:54 am

Sorry on the delay. Probotix will provide you will the configs that you need to use the VFD. I added the the Automatic Tool Length Sensor as well so I asked for the configs for each.

They have to tailor the configs to the hardware in your unit. I have 2013 model so it's not the newest hardware.

I've made the upgrade and it working great now. I did not end up using the Probotix wiring diagram. I opted to re-purpose one of the vac relays in the control box to switch the VFD's relay on and off. I didn't trust Probotix's method of setting the 0-10voltage value to 0 as a voltage bump could turn on the spindle.

I now issue the M8 code to turn on the spindle relay, M3 and S value for Speed, ig:M3S12000 = Clockwise @ 12000RPM. To turn off it's an M5 and M9. That is all done during post through G-Code.

I now don't have to touch the VFD to turn it on or set the speed.

I'll post pictures of how I ran the coolant lines after replacing the cable chains with larger ones from Amazon.

Return to “Machine Mechanics”