Touchplate Question

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
stefonroman

Touchplate Question

Postby stefonroman » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:25 pm

I currently have a x90fireball and am looking to upgrade to an Asteroid. If I dont' order the tool length sensor option, can I add a aftermarket sensor at a later date?

Thanks
Stefon

beltramidave

Re: Touchplate Question

Postby beltramidave » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:26 pm

If it were me and I was buying a new Asteroid, I would get the tool sensor. If you are planning on running tool paths with multiple tools, it is well worth it. It is a LOT more fun and accurate than touching off each time you change a tool. Not to mention all the program code to make the tool sensor work will already be done and ready.

But to answer your question, and Len would need to verify this, but I think that you will need to have a second parallel port to make this sensor work, whether you do it now or later. If you do it when you buy the machine, it will come with it.

4DThinker

Re: Touchplate Question

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:56 pm

On Probotix' facebook page they tease about a touch plate they are working on for their CNCs.

I bought the same touch plate/alligator clip they show in the video posted and have turned it into a dumb touch light that lights when the bit touches the plate. Not connected to the controller or PC, but a nice visual alternative to the paper trick most use for setting Z to the top of your material.

Only thing I had to do was mill the bottom of the plastic ring surround flat/parallel as my disk thickness varied depending on where you measured it.

4D

Return to “Machine Mechanics”