How many T Tracks should I need?

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
Keystone Chuck

How many T Tracks should I need?

Postby Keystone Chuck » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:38 pm

I was just given a killer place to buy T Tracks in aluminum super cheap (less the Rockler). I have an Asteriod (total table size is 33" x 40 3/4"). Hom many tracks do you guys and gals recommend? I was going to run the 33" (Y Axis) length.

Keystone Chuck

Re: How many T Tracks should I need?

Postby Keystone Chuck » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:49 am

Thought I'd share my progress. I purchased 6pcs 36" long Aluminum T Track delivered for $44. I will be running the Y axis of my table and will fill inbetween tracks with 3/4" MDF. The tracks are 1/2" high giving me 1/4" to mill as needed the entire cutting area down to make level again. Have a brand new Asteroid but the table is off a little on the right side. Not a big deal untill you V Bit fine script font. Will post pictures when complete. Also will be making a 90 degree jig to stick my signs in to keep from touching off X and Y on each sign.

frcruz

Postby frcruz » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:32 am

Where did you get the t-track??

Thanks,

Frank

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:12 pm

I used 8 runs of t-track (3 on each end, 1 on each side) from the center of the spoil board. It worked pretty good, although I am going to replace it and cut a grid in a new panel with threaded holes.

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:17 am

Can you direct message, email or call us with your order # or contact info? I would like to see a copy of your calibration report I am concerned your table is off on the right side. We have a copy here I just need your order #.

Thanks!

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:16 pm

Speaking of spoil board leveling... it seems mine is off as well. The side towards the tool sensor is higher than the opposite side. Not sure exactly what to do about that other than level the spoil board (which I'll need to replace anyway).

TLHarrell

Postby TLHarrell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 pm

cncpadawan wrote:Speaking of spoil board leveling... it seems mine is off as well. The side towards the tool sensor is higher than the opposite side. Not sure exactly what to do about that other than level the spoil board (which I'll need to replace anyway).

Add a 3/4" MDF spoilboard and cut it flat. I bought a cheap 1.5" router bit from Home Depot, think it was a rabbeting bit, removed the pilot bearing and ground off the shaft. It serves pretty well for flycutting the spoilboards, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. $15 vs. $300 for a dedicated spoilboard cutter...

I cut 0.020" off mine pretty much every time I need to run something with a depth tolerance or if I ended up gluing stuff to the board and need it cleaned up.

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:54 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the idea! I actually came to that conclusion the other night. My t-track isn't long enough for the material I threw on it the other day, and I want to replace the spoil board anyway so I screwed the material down into the spoil board. Then it dawned on me... I could just put a sheet above it and screw into that, or cut a grid and tap it, or... Plenty of options!

Return to “Machine Mechanics”