Spoil board Options?

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
politicaldog

Spoil board Options?

Postby politicaldog » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:42 am

I'm looking for something other than MDF as my next spoil board. I'm in Ohio and my router is not in a heated area. I cannot keep the room I use heated but usually go out a bit early in the morning and use a couple small heaters to get the room warmed up to work in.

I noticed as the weather changed the finish on my project required more and more sanding time and so I started to look at my table not being level. I used a 3/4" end mill with a 60% step over, built a program to level it up. Really looked great when I finished. MDF was screwed flat to the table that came with my Meteor. I was a happy camper.....went out the next day to get started and noticed that MDF was no longer flat against the table... :cry:

So researched (Google Search) about the swelling of MDF and possibly sealing the MDF. In short are there any other material I can use that will not swell even if its more expensive?

I'm really frustrated with how much this moves. I can't imagine that if I ever want to get into a diamond drag or engraving that my finished product will look good since I can't keep it level.

HELP
Learn to not sweat the small stuff and life is much easier!

HANNAH024

Re: Spoil board Options?

Postby HANNAH024 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:14 am

Hi!
Having the same problem, but not as bad as yours YET.
I'm thinking about using corian....
I have not tried it, but have a piece almost ready to put on my comet.
It is stable. In 3/4" thickness it doesn't flex, but 3/4" is harder to find.
I will have to drill and tap 1/4-20 holes in it...But, that will be better than using inserts.
You could cut T slots in it if you wanted them.
It won't hurt the cutter if you cut into it.
Very smooth and accurate on at least one face.
Most cabinet shops have pieces that are scratched or they are scrap to them, so they will sell those at a very reasonable price.

What do you think?
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

politicaldog

Postby politicaldog » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:30 am

Let me know how that works out. I'm interested in the same if it works for you. I'm also calling to get a price on adding additional Aluminum extrusions to the bed which should add more support.

politicaldog

Postby politicaldog » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:20 pm

Hannah024, Here's 1 option that I talked with a local hardwood supplier today about the moisture resistance MDF. Supposed to be able to dunk this underwater. $45.00 for a 4' x 8' x 3/4". He has to order it but the price is OK. http://www.thehardwoodstore.com/catalog.pdf

Link http://www.buildgp.com/mdf-ultrastock-mr

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Sounds good.
Let me know how it works out.
That would only be about 6 bucks per spoil board for my comet.
I'll check around and see if I can find a sheet.
Thanks for the information.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

Hockeyhead

Postby Hockeyhead » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:01 pm

Just wondering if you guys came up with a preferred spoil board yet? I see the same issues. Right now I'm doing things that are basically just cutting out parts so it doesn't matter much. But I do know my spoil board is fairly warped. I used a v-groove bit to just score some alignment lines on the spoil board and you really can tell the level changes across the board. If I do some signage at some point this could be an issue. Please post if you settle on something that works well I'd be interested. Thanks.

honesttjohn

Postby honesttjohn » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:36 pm

I have to shim most everything I do with mine - and it's in the basement. I'm planning on making another bed out of 8020 T-slot - hoping to solve the leveling and clamping problem at the same time. That MDF sure screws a good machine up. Still in the planning stages - but I know once I do it, I'll wish I did it a different way.

HJ

Mikes

Postby Mikes » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:27 pm

Resurrecting an older thread, but I will be needing to replace my spoil board and was wondering if anyone tried the water resistant MDF (Medex or other) on their machine?

I have the Nebula and already had to install additional cross bracing due to sag in the original spoil board in the unsupported spans. But I will add I keep my machine in the garage in Houston, so humidity is a concern. However, after installing the two additional crossbars, the observed sag is now less than 0.01 at the moment. Originally without the new crossbars, I had about 1/8" of sag in the center of the unsupported area.

Thanks,
Mike
CNC Newbie - 2017 Probotix Nebula w/2.2kw spindle

Return to “Machine Mechanics”