Motor Shaft Bumpers

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
4DThinker

Motor Shaft Bumpers

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:49 pm

I've poked myself one too many times now on the exposed motor shafts of the three Probotix CNC I work around. Had some time this winter break so I made these "bumpers" to slide over the shaft and turn my future encounters into less of a bruise. Drew them up in Sketchup then printed them on my 3D printer. I suspect 3D cutting a wood version might take less time (40 minutes each to 3D Print). Or even driving to wherever I could pick up some foam ball halves (Hobby Lobby perhaps?) to put to the same use could be quicker. My point is not how they were made, but simply that they "protect" the motor shafts AND the CNC operator at the same time. A bonus is that they animate the motor rotation now where the featureless shafts did not.

4D
X motor shaft cap.jpg
X motor Shaft Cap
X motor shaft cap.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 7228 times

4DThinker

Re: Motor Shaft Bumpers

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:54 pm

I also did the Y motors, and the motor on my rotary axis. No point in capping the Z motor, although I'm thinking about something to animate when it spins around. ;)

4D
Y motor shart caps.jpg
Y motor Shaft Caps
Y motor shart caps.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 7227 times

ProbotixLance

Postby ProbotixLance » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:58 pm

As someone who has run into these a hundred times already, I thank you haha. Now if we can convince Len to make these an available option I would gladly add them to the machines during assembly.
“Give me but a firm spot on which to stand, and I shall move the earth.”
― Archimedes

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:17 pm

ProbotixLance wrote:As someone who has run into these a hundred times already, I thank you. Now if we can convince Len to make these an available option I would gladly add them to the machines during assembly.
Although my printer didn't print them perfectly, I'd be happy to send you my .STL file if you want to print some up to test. I've printed enough to cover all the motors on my own Meteor and the two Probotix CNCs I oversee at K-State. Let me know.

4D

ProbotixLance

Postby ProbotixLance » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:21 pm

4DThinker wrote:
ProbotixLance wrote:As someone who has run into these a hundred times already, I thank you. Now if we can convince Len to make these an available option I would gladly add them to the machines during assembly.
Although my printer didn't print them perfectly, I'd be happy to send you my .STL file if you want to print some up to test. I've printed enough to cover all the motors on my own Meteor and the two Probotix CNCs I oversee at K-State. Let me know.

4D

If it's not too much trouble, shoot them over to Lance@probotix.com and I will bring it Monday during our meeting. I think the idea is genius as I have incurred quite a few bruises in the shop and know that I am not the only one to do so. Thank you!
“Give me but a firm spot on which to stand, and I shall move the earth.”
― Archimedes

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:35 pm

Tried to email you Lance. My email client sent back a rejection. Not sure if you got it. Sent it to support@probotix.com too.

4D

C6MFG

Postby C6MFG » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:11 pm

We purchased some soft foam balls/practice golf balls. Thinking about drawing some spirals on them to be able to see them spinning...lol

Thanks,

Jason & Madison
Attachments
2015-09-17 23.07.25 - Small.jpg
2015-09-17 23.07.25 - Small.jpg (137.45 KiB) Viewed 7148 times

C6MFG

Postby C6MFG » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:33 pm

The foam is quite stiff so they do offer good protection for the top of my head :x ...lol

Jason & Madison

honesttjohn

Postby honesttjohn » Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:47 pm

I see red and white or black and white or yellow and black or yellow and red -- you get the idea - stripes on mine. My ribs hate those things sticking out!

HJ

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:15 pm

A day glow orange might be the best color to make/paint these. Make them as glaringly obvious as possible to never suffer an encounter with them. :o

4D

Return to “Machine Mechanics”