Z axis trouble

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
nickmcc247

Z axis trouble

Postby nickmcc247 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:19 pm

Hi, I just picked up a used comet, I set it up yesterday but I am having trouble with the z axis. It won't move or home. It did work before I purchased it, I saw it touch off. I called the guy I got it from and he told me to try the a axis port, I guess when he got it he had some trouble so probiotic sent a new board and I think the a axis port was a temporary fix.(he told me this before, I just forgot.) Anyway, I tried that and still no luck. Can I try another port like the x just to see if it will work? Are there internal fuses I could check for individual ports? Could something in the software have changed since breakdown and setup I need to change like port assignment? Could I have blown something hooking it up they way I did to start? Thanks in advance.

probotix
Site Admin

Re: Z axis trouble

Postby probotix » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:59 pm

The easiest way to blow a stepper driver is to connect or disconnect it while the power is on. Any chance of that?

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Check the solder joints on all the connectors related to the Z axis.
The wires coming out of the z motor are spliced about 6 inches from the motor so be sure to check that splice.
My first comet had a cold solder joint in the connector for the E-stop button.
There have been some problems with COLD SOLDER JOINTS in the past.
Just one of several things to check.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

nickmcc247

Postby nickmcc247 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:45 pm

probotix wrote:The easiest way to blow a stepper driver is to connect or disconnect it while the power is on. Any chance of that?

Power was definitely off, even at power strip. I tried again today and started homing x axis. It worked but when I moved to y axis I got the joint error message. When I try z axis nothing happens with machine and in the touch off test file it just shows it going up til it errors. Tried x again and it errors and won't move. So now none will move.

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:07 pm

Shut off the control box so none of the motors have power.
roll each motor by hand and see if they are binding.
You will have to roll both Y motors at the same time.
I use the couplers.
If they are not binding, I would put some machine oil on each of the slides and lead screws and then
roll them by hand through the oil.
Then I would power up and JOG each motor individually. Use the keyboard, game controller or mouse.
Don't send it to home yet.
When all the joints work individually then you can HOME ALL
Let us know what you find out.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

nickmcc247

Postby nickmcc247 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:48 pm

Ok, double checked all connections, rolled all screws by couplers they move great, start back up and when I hit up or down, z motor bumps and then I get joint 1 error. Tried this 3 times to be sure. Only up or down will move anything, I was using controller earlier and both x and y worked ok, I haven't changed anything either. Z is still on the A port though. I wanted to get x and y corrected before tackling z motor and connection. Planned on taking motor off and opening up and checking continuity w voltmeter as loom looks ok visually. Joint 0 is x, joint 1 is y and joint 2 is z right? Connector is labeled 1-6, is there a wire color correspondence somewhere?

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

I am assuming that the E-stop button is rotated so it snaps out....
Check it. It is easy to bump it while working around the machine.
Since you are getting a Y axis error, I am wondering about the Y-axis limit switches and their connections.
There are 4 of them located on each side at the bottom of the carriage. It is easy to bump them when moving a machine
Probotix removes the Y axis limit switches when they ship a machine.
Then with the power off, put the Z connection back on the Z port.
Power up and see if X and Y run. If you get the limit 1 error try wiggling the wires where they connect to the Y limit switches.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

nickmcc247

Postby nickmcc247 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:58 pm

Hannah you son of a gun! That seemed to work, x and y are now moving again. The left motor on the y had some very close connections so I moved them and I had the router almost all the way to front of table so I rolled it back a little was and restarted. After that x and y were good. Z still does not work and I put it back to the z port. Was my idea to take that motor off and check continuity a good one? previous owner had trouble on z port so he got a new card, he was using a port as a temporary fix but just left it so he didn't have to replace board that probotix sent. I do have that to by the way, difficult to change? Is there a way to plug in different wire to different port to check motor is good? Z switch seems definitely clear of any terminal to terminal connection and I'm sure you know that is a tough one to bump because it's so well protected. Thanks so much for all the help so far, you're helping out a ton!

nickmcc247

Postby nickmcc247 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Whoa, so I thought that since x and y were good and rolling y back further seemed to help I tried that with z after pluggin it back into 'a' port. I fired her up and hit up on the controller, x and z were both going at the same time! This only lasted a few seconds before getting the joint 2 error, after that I shut her down. :shock:

probotix
Site Admin

Postby probotix » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:52 pm

If you ever take a stepper motor apart, just go ahead and throw it in the trash after that. Because of the close air gap of a variable reluctance motor, you cannot take it apart without the rotor touching the electromagnet body, and the moment they touch they lose about half of their magnetism. Stepper motors are magnetized *after* they are assembled for that very reason.

Return to “Machine Mechanics”