Jog pendant? Purpose?

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
Hockeyhead

Jog pendant? Purpose?

Postby Hockeyhead » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:14 am

It may be obvious to some but not to me. What is it? What can you do with it? Why is it better or different than just a keyboard?

Thanks.

4DThinker

Re: Jog pendant? Purpose?

Postby 4DThinker » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 am

Using one vs using the keyboard is just a matter of personal preference. These CNCs used to come with a game controller for jogging the spindle around, but using that was IMO slower and less precise than using the keyboard. I don't have a jog pendant, but have even looked into using just a wireless number keypad. What you do with your CNC may also encourage using a jog pendant over using the keyboard.

4D

Hockeyhead

Postby Hockeyhead » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks for the clarification, I saw it on the website, but really didn't know what advantage it may have vs just the keyboard. One thing I really don't like about the CNC Linux software is that, provided you don't have the touch off sensor which automates the z-axis touch off, there is no keyboard button that allows you to switch between the job distances. You have to select it with the mouse (at least that is the only way I have found to do it). So you are dancing between the mouse and the keyboard to set the touch offs. It may sound like a petty thing, but if you do a lot of bit changes it gets tedious. If you could set the function keys on the keyboard to choose the jog interval that would be a great compromise.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:18 pm

END on the keyboard followed with ENTER will effectively touch off (zero) the active axis (last direction you jogged or hit on the keyboard (x,y,z)).
You can also switch quickly between Continuous and the last Increment jog step you've chosen by hitting C and I respectively.

A list of all the keyboard shortcuts you can find here: http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.p ... _Shortcuts

Hope that helps.
4D

Return to “Machine Mechanics”