Checkering on a Comet

Show off your handy work here
HANNAH024

Checkering on a Comet

Postby HANNAH024 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:57 am

A few days ago I was told that you couldn't make a butt plate for a gun on a Probotix machine because that process required a much more expensive machine. One that could create a curved shape in two directions and then checker that shape. I was sure that it could be done and that my COMET could do the job just as well as the big high dollar machines.
So using Aspire and my comet here is what I came up with.
What do you think? Can the Comet do the job?

PDR_4444A.JPG
PDR_4444A.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 4518 times
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

HANNAH024

Re: Checkering on a Comet

Postby HANNAH024 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:01 am

Here is a side view of the butt plate.
PDR_4452.JPG
PDR_4452.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4518 times
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

cncpadawan

Postby cncpadawan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:23 am

Really? Someone said it couldn't be done? HAH!

You know, when people tell me that, it just gives me more motivation to prove them wrong! :)

Very nice by the way. I'd really like to make something like that at some point, but I don't have the skill nor do I really know where to begin to get the right shape and whatnot to fit. I have Aspire, but in my hands it is basically like using a super computer to calculate math problems - a waste of a tool.. lol

ddtsigns

Postby ddtsigns » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:12 am

Very nice can something like that be done in V carve pro?
Darren
DDT Redwood Signs

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:42 am

Since I upgraded to Aspire, my copy of V-carve pro is old and they added a lot of additional capability in V-carve Pro 8.
My thoughts are that you could create and run all of the toolpaths except for the 3D part which created the curved base and the
arched plate which formed the model on which the checkering and logo are cut.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

shadowrider

Postby shadowrider » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:36 pm

This is one of things I plan on doing when I get mine. Care to take a couple of questions?

How much angle or curve can you do before you think you'll need a 4th axis?
Does Aspire do the texture or do you have to draw the profile of it?

I will end up with Aspire but will probably start wit V-Carve Pro if possible. I was hoping to already have my V90 but I was out of work for a spell so all of it is taking longer than I'd like. Great looking work BTW.

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:43 pm

It was not as easy as I thought it would be.
I created all of the lines for the checkering and then did profile cuts on each one of them.
I found out that you need to control the direction of each cut because conventional cutting chips off the top of the checkering and climb cutting does not.
If you go too deep with the cuts the points of the checkering are more prone to chipping.
The amount of curve you can checker is determined by when the shoulder of the cutter digs into the material.
I used a 60 degree V cutter. A 30 degree V would allow checkering on a steeper curve.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

justallan17

Postby justallan17 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:41 am

Hannah, are you familiar with stabilizing wood? I think starting with stabilized wood could help you on chipping a lot.
Basically the wood is put in a vacuum chamber and all air is pulled out of the wood. When the vacuum is released it pulls a resin into the wood and then you cure it. I can take soft woods, woods with hairline cracks or less stable woods and make them solid and much more workable. It will cure a lot of tare-out and chipping issues as well as making the points in your checkering much more durable.
It sounds making the butt plate was more of a personal challenge for you, but I thought I would toss that out there anyhow.
I think you did an great job on it.

HANNAH024

Postby HANNAH024 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:42 am

Great Suggestion.
What resin do you use?
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

justallan17

Postby justallan17 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:11 pm

I use Cactus Juice from Turn Tex. He's a great guy and carries everything you would need for stabilizing, plus has first hand experience to help with any questions.

Return to “Projects”