z axis trouble

Discuss software here
jcm8796

z axis trouble

Postby jcm8796 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:26 pm

Having trouble figuring out what my error is within my setup. trying to make a small 3d cut in a piece of 3/4 mdf. all of my settings are set within the dimensions of the material. I go through and home the axises like you should along with touching of the tool to do the cutting but every time i go to start the file it immediately cuts past the material through the spoil board. where is my error?

HANNAH024

Re: z axis trouble

Postby HANNAH024 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:28 pm

Sounds like the machine does not know where you want Z zero to be.
Are you touching off the tip of the cutter to zero on the top surface of the workpiece?
The position register for Z should show ZERO after you touch-off.
Then when you tell the cutter to cut 1/2 inch deep that is from zero (the top of the stock)
If you touch off Z to zero on the surface of the spoilboard table and then then put a 3/4" piece of stock
on the table and tell the machine to cut 1/2 inch deep that will be 1/2 inch below the bottom of the stock.
Let us know if this helps solve your problem.
It is what it is!
Have a great day.
HANNAH

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:38 pm

You didn't say what CAM software you used, but in vectric's products there is a home Z value that the CNC will move to when every job starts. It is normally set .8" above the material, but if a different value got in there (such as a big negative number) it would force your CNC to move into the spoi board before proceeding on with the tool paths. Now Aspire that I use ignores negative numbers for Home Z, but your software may not.

You may also have accidently left your Z origin at a lower point than the top of your board. From then on the toolpaths would all be lower (possibly into the spoil board) than you anticipated they would cut.

Check Home Z, in your CAM sofware.
Verify that you've zeroed out Z on your CNC in the same place you set Z zero to be in your CAM software.

4D

jcm8796

Postby jcm8796 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:25 pm

thankyou for your quick response and help. the software im using is v-carve pro. My safe zero was set at .201. I was touching off on top of the work piece however im not sure what i was doing to unhome the z-axis. I tried a few more times to run it and finally got it to cut correctly. Like i said not sure what i changed in my set up which is the worst part of this mystery for someone who likes to know why things happen a certain way.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:47 pm

I'm glad you got it to work. Yes, sometimes a mystery (especially this time of year) can be hard to figure out. I've had static discharge send my CNC somewhere unexpected/unprogrammed so that may have been the criminal responsible. It happened when I was following the bit with my dust collector hose.

Check to be sure your CNC frame is connected to an earth ground if it isn't already.

4D

Return to “Software”