rail scratches and linear bearings

Discuss Machine Mechanics Here
sawnsand

rail scratches and linear bearings

Postby sawnsand » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:06 am

Seems I have an issue with a bearing. There are a pair of scatches/grooves in the top Xaxis rail.. Any experience in removing linear bearings? How much do I need to dissamble to get to these bearings? I have been good about cleaning and lubricating the Meteor, must be a bearing failure...

https://goo.gl/photos/6hvgFmcvcx428zy3A
Sawnsand
-just south of Kansas Speedway

4DThinker

Re: rail scratches and linear bearings

Postby 4DThinker » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:00 pm

You'll have to take the whole Z~ router assembly apart. Keep track of bolts. Watch out for the Z limit switch and eventually the X limit switches on the gantry back. Once you get to where you can unbolt the X bearings you still have a challenge, The top bearing looks like it can slide off the end of the rail. The bottom bearing will only come off if you unbolt the bottom rail from the gantry beam. That, or unbolt the beam from the gantry ends.

Good luck!
4D

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:04 am

I have the same issue with my meteor.
Need to replace the bearings.

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:30 pm

Sadly you'll pretty much need to take apart the whole gantry to replace the X direction bearings. I had to replace the Z bearing on our college Nebula and even that meant taking apart the whole Z assembly down to the gantry. Not impossible. No fun either.

4D

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Hi 4DThinker

Yes I can see its not going to be a fun thing to do.
But first I need to get the bearings and the shafts.
Do you know a good source where I can order the shafts?

Thank You

4DThinker

Postby 4DThinker » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:50 pm

Juan Hidrovo wrote:Hi 4DThinker. Do you know a good source where I can order the shafts?

Thank You
II'd contact probotix support. You can find the bearing other places, and probably the shafts, but probotix will know exactly what you need and probably have it in stock. When I replaced the Z-axis bearing on our nebula I got then right from this (probotix) web site.

If you are confidant you know the diameter and length and such, and are an amazon prime member then they may have both. A quick (imprecise) search there found this: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... inear+rail

4D

Juan Hidrovo

Postby Juan Hidrovo » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:39 pm

4DThinker

Thank You for your time.
I guess Probotix is the way to go. Since they know exactly the parts needed.
Going to contact them.

thank you again.

salomon

Postby salomon » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:00 pm

4DThinker wrote:You'll have to take the whole Z~ router assembly apart. Keep track of bolts. Watch out for the Z limit switch and eventually the X limit switches on the gantry back. Once you get to where you can unbolt the X bearings you still have a challenge, The top bearing looks like it can slide off the end of the rail. The bottom bearing will only come off if you unbolt the bottom rail from the gantry beam. That, or unbolt the beam from the gantry ends.

Good luck!
4D

Im facing the need to check the Z bearings of my meteor, I'm stuck at this point as I dont know how are the rails stick to top and bottom plates as there is no any screw holding them in place, I guess I have to remove the center screw, and then what? :?

A service manual will be really handy.

Sorry my poor English :oops:

[img]zaxis.png[/img]
Attachments
zaxis.png
zaxis.png (379.62 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Probotix Meteor | 4th Axis | SuperPID with Dewalt DWP-611 Router

o2photo

Postby o2photo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:57 am

Are those holes for set screws holding those rails on?

(Edit) I just looked at my machine - never mind. I see those are for the router plate.

Marc

Return to “Machine Mechanics”